Sunday, December 18, 2022

The Night Before Christmas various editions

 


'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads;
And mamma in her ’kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled our brains for a long winter’s nap,
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.


You probably know this famous poem by Clement C Moore which was first published in 1823. This date was a question I saw in a quiz this week and it made me think about all the picture book versions of this poem. There are also plenty of spoof versions but I think it is important to share a truly special edition with a young child (and older children too) before you dip into the variations. I saw one beautiful example by the wonderful Australian illustrator Robert Ingpen in my local bookshop (only $15). Here are two different covers.




I have previously talked about the popup version by Robert Sabuda:


Here are some other editions which feature this famous poem using fabulous illustrations. Just look at some of these amazing names - PJ Lynch, Jan Brett, Tomie dePaola, Lisbeth Zwerger, and Roger Duvoisin :


PJ Lynch


Anital Lobel


Jan Brett


Roger Duvoisin


Lisbeth Zwerger


Holly Hobbie


Kes Gray


Clare Fennell


Tracey Cordoroy


Charles Santore (not yet published)

Here are two by our Australian illustrators Helene Magisson and Bruce Whatley:


Helene Magisson


Bruce Whatley


No comments: