Monday, December 19, 2022

The Polar Express by Chris van Allsburg

 



I am going to use some text quotes as a way to share the flavour of this book - I imagine you may already be familiar with this classic title.

"On Christmas Eve, many years ago, I lay quietly in my bed. I did not rustle the sheets.  I breathed slowly and silently. I was listening for a sound - a sound a friend had told me I'd never hear - the ringing bells of Santa's sleigh."

"It was wrapped in an apron of stream. Snowflakes fell lightly around it."

"All aboard,' the guard cried out. I ran up to him. 'Well?,' he said, 'are you coming?' 'Where?' I asked. 'Why to the North Pole of course ... This is the Polar Express.' I took his outstretched hand and he pulled me aboard."

"We drank cocoa as thick and rich as melted chocolate bars."

"Faster and faster we ran along, rolling over peaks and through valleys like the car on a roller coaster."

"The reindeer were excited. They pranced and paced, ringing the silver sleigh bells that hung from their harnesses. It was a magical sound, like nothing I'd ever heard. Across the circle, the elves moved apart and Santa Claus appeared. The elves cheered wildly."

"Now, what would you like for Christmas?"

Oddly today I discovered I had not talked about The Polar Express on my blog. This book was first published in 1985 and I am happy to report it is still in print and in many formats. Decades ago I won a competition and the prize was a mini copy of The Polar Express and a CDROM with the story read by Garrison Keillor (old technology now). I did a little search and found the audio track from this production - it is very special. Ironically this for this competition you had to guess the CBCA short list titles and now my life has come full circle because I have been a CBCA Book of the Year judge for the last two years. 

I do wish the movie of The Polar Express had not been made - it totally misses out on all the magic of the book in my view and so many children will miss out if they never read or hear this perfect Christmas story from the book not the movie.

There are many ways to enjoy The Polar Express. I suggest reading the book quietly with your family (but not to very young children) then let Liam Neeson read it for you while you follow along with your actual copy of the book. 

If you find a copy of The Polar Express in hardcover with a dust jacket you are so lucky because under the paper cover you will find a wonderful surprise. I did find a signed used copy (mint condition) online for US$1200!! Chris van Allsburg won his second Caldecott medal for The Polar Express the first was for Jumanji. 

My only question about The Polar Express is - who is the audience? I suggest this book is perfect for readers aged 10 or 11+. You don't want your younger reading companion questioning the existence of Santa Claus. Take a look at this Kirkus article



Here are other fabulous books by Chris van Allsburg.


No comments: