Monday, January 2, 2023

Mary Underwater by Shannon Doleski



I mentioned this book was on my November and December reading pile. I only just picked it up last night (it is January) and I finished in today - YES it is that good.  This story is confronting but it is also a gentle story of first love and somehow those tender scenes balance out the horrible violence by Mary's father.

Mary's father has been in jail. This means things are slightly less fraught at home but as the story opens he has been released and Mary knows things will soon turn bad - very bad. Her father is a violent man and he takes his anger out on his wife and daughter. Every day, every single day, Mary lives in fear of what this man might do to her. This means her school work is suffering. The nuns in her Catholic school have noticed and social workers are involved but Mary is desperate not to be sent to foster care. 

The science teacher sets a group assignment and a boy in Mary's seventh grade class, Kip Dwyer, asks to be her partner. Together they build a model submarine but that is only the beginning. Mary wants to do something bigger, something more heroic like her personal hero Joan of Arc. Mary also wants to escape from her father.

Interspersed through the book are extracts about Joan of Arc and her amazing life. 

Kip and Mary, with the help of new friends, work together to build a real submarine. This part does seem rather fanciful but I did find it quite fascinating (Ms Yingling agrees). Especially since I recently read another book about life in a submarine. (The Reindeer and the Submarine by Beverley McWilliams)

Here are some text quotes from Mary Underwater:

"He leans over and pulls me up by my hands. He doesn't drop them, and my palm is pressed warm against his. So warm. We are glued together. ... "Can I hold your hand when we walk back?' I nod because I don't trust myself to talk. He can."

"I panic, jumping up. After midnight with the boy I, well, I don't know. The boy I like. That seems dangerous. Handing him my heart, the one beating wildly against my ribs, seems dangerous."

"You deserve kindness, just like everyone else in this world. You're just not used to it ... You are worthy, Mary.' 'Worthy of what?' My heart feels like it's been split open. ... 'Everything , honey. Happiness. Love. You deserve it all. Your parents forgot to tell you that."

A ruggedly heartwarming tale of resilience and romance. Kirkus

The violence balanced against hope and the importance of terrific friends that are explored in this book reminded me of this wonderful Australian book:



I do not want you to worry about the domestic violence in Mary Underwater but I do wish the cover was a little less junior looking. I suggest this is a Young Adult book for readers aged 12+. The violence is truly terrible but the tenderness of first love is utterly beautiful. Here is the moment of their first kiss:

"I kiss Kip Dwyer on the mouth. And it is a little messy. But. It is starry nights on a bridge. And fireworks. Warm hugs on porches. It is floating and flying and drifting. It is perfect."

Here is the web site for US author Shannon Doleski. There is a link to hear the author read her first chapter. 

Just a quick note about my blog goals. In 2022 I completed 405 posts. I did have a goal of 4000 posts by the end of 2024 but I think I might need to extend this out to 2025. As of today I have had 896986 hits on my blog (nearly made the million - I am amazed) and 2786 posts. I've been visiting an older lady this week and today she asked me if I was famous - so funny - but I do hope you find my blog musings, and book choices useful what ever your circumstances - teacher, Teacher-Librarian, parent or even perhaps author. Thanks for dipping into my blog from time to time. Huge thanks to the people (including some amazing authors) who drop by with comments - these make my heart sing. 


No comments: