Saturday, September 12, 2026

Waiting for the Whales by Sheryl McFarlane illustrated by Ron Lightburn


"When he spotted the orcas that year, he carried his granddaughter to the water's edge and held her up so she could see. And although she didn't understand, he told her all about the whales that he had watched since he was small."

The old man lives alone until his daughter returns with her baby. The grandfather and little girl become inseparable watching for whales, cooking and tending his large garden. As the little girl grows the old man grows weary until one day he dies but the little girl knows when she watches those glorious orca whales, she can see his spirit.

Bookseller blurb: Waiting for the Whales illuminates the unique friendship between grandparent and child and celebrates the restorative power of the natural world. An old man lives alone on a bluff overlooking the sea, tends his garden and waits. Only when the whales return each year to the bay in front of his cottage is his loneliness eased. Until, one day, an unexpected visitor arrives. Originally published over thirty years ago, this award-winning picture book is sure to enchant a whole new generation of readers.

Awards: 

1991 CLA Amelia Frances Howard-Gibbon Illustrator's Award winner 
1991 Governor General's Literary Award - Illustration winner 
1992 IODE Book Award - Toronto Chapter winner
2015 Today's Parent's Best Canadian Kids Books list selection commendation
1991 CLA Amelia Frances Howard-Gibbon Illustrator's Award winner
1991 Governor General's Literary Award - Illustration winner
1991 Canadian Library Association (CLA) Amelia Frances Howard-Gibbon Illustrator's Award winner
1992 International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY) Canada Canadian Picture Book Award 
2016 Today's Parent's 100 best Canadian kids' books of all time commendation

The perfect companion book is:



I was in Canada in August this year, and my friend and I visited a terrific children's bookshop on Vancouver Island in the village or town or suburb of Sidney called Tanners Books. Sheryl McFarlane lives in Victoria on Vancouver Island.

I spied another book called Jessie's Island and I purchased it then when I came home, I discovered I already own this book by Sheryl McFarlane - Waiting for the Whales - which I picked up in 1994 when I lived in Canada and had the idea to collect one book from each Providence or Territory.


Blurb: When Jessie's mother suggests they invite Thomas to visit their island, Jessie wonders glumly what she could possibly write in her letter that would sound as exciting as zoos, planetariums or video arcades. But as Jessie looks out over her island home, she sees a world of endless variety, from killer whales in the strait and bald eagles soaring overhead to anemones in tide pools and tiny hermit crabs on the shore. She thinks of countless days spent exploring, fishing, swimming and canoeing.

You can see more books illustrated by Sheena Lott here including one by David Suzuki and one about knitting which I know will intrigue my friend from Kinderbookswitheverything

Here are some picture books by Sheryl McFarlane:



Ron Lightburn is the illustrator of a book I used to have in my library called How Smudge Came. He also illustrated another book by Sheryl McFarlane called Eagle Dreams. You can read more about Ron Lightburn here




No comments: