Friday, October 9, 2026

These are my rocks: A story about collecting by Bethan Woollvin


This is one of those special books that 'breaks the fourth wall'. Think about the opening sentence which speaks directly to the reader:

"So, I've heard you'd like to be a collector! Well, you've come to the right place. I'll teach you everything you need to know to be a real collector. But I'll warn you, it's hard work. First off, let's turn on the light."

Our narrator has a huge collection of large and small things, but when you opened the cupboard (turned the page) the biggest things all spilled out. Hopefully you can help squish them back in. Oh and watch out for that spider. There is a rock collection, as the cover tells you, but also collections of pointy things, prickly things, stinky things, fan mail, bananas, and the one I loved the most - a collection of invisible things which is actually a collection of air, thoughts and dreams. I suggest you also try to find the picture book In a Jar by Deborah Marcero to further explore this idea of collecting things in jars. 



It would be fun to read this book at the start of the school year if your young class of Grade 1-3 students like to present 'news' or 'show and tell' to their class. These are my rocks was published in 2025 and is available in hardcover and paperback. This book would be an excellent addition to your school library. 

I rarely read book dedications, but this one caught my eye:

"For Mom - who held my hand as we combed the beach for shells and, even now, slips the occasional rock or pinecone into my pocket."

Publisher blurb: Join the narrator, as they proudly introduce the reader to their prized collection, featuring BIG things to small things … and spiky things to wobbly things! Each page is bursting with humour – and they are interactive too – with children encouraged to interact with the book, with invitations to point, make noises, clap their hands and think about what they could collect.. Interactive books engage young children and capture their natural curiosity and These Are My Rocks encourages the development of important early-learning skills such as listening, choosing, matching, counting and moving by playing on the theme of interaction. 

The last page encourages youngsters to become collectors themselves, but they won’t need much convincing; Woollvin’s quirky, conversational text and artwork will have already persuaded them to follow suit. Kirkus

Here is another book that I suggest reading as a way to talk about those 'class news' sessions.




Here are some other books by Bethan Woollvin:



No comments: