Monday, October 5, 2026

The Branch by Mireille Messier illustrated by Pierre Pratt


When I visit the library where I am SO lucky to work as a volunteer, I have to constantly remind myself I will never be able to read every book and that I should just be happy when I make a new discovery. Once again today I found a treasure - this is an older book - 2016 - and so it is out of print. I really wish I had discovered this book back when it was published because it is one I would have loved to add to my school library. 

A branch falls off the tree in a wild storm. The little girl in this story loved that branch - it was a perfect place to play and explore her imaginative ideas.

"It was my castle, my spy base, my ship ..."

Other trees in the neighborhood are also damaged and people up and down the street have begun the clean-up but the little girl needs to keep her huge branch. Luckily Mr Frank from next door does understand. He offers to help. He and the little girl carry the branch to his workshop and over the following days working together they create something wonderful.

Bookseller blurb: When an ice storm snaps a small girl's favorite branch from the tree in her yard, she's crestfallen. The girl's mom says it's just a branch. But not to her! "That was the branch I sat on, jumped from, played under. It was my castle, my spy base, my ship…" Luckily, her neighbor Mr. Frank understands. He says the branch has "potential." "What's potential?" she asks. "It means it's worth keeping." And so, with imagination and spirit, and Mr. Frank's guidance and tools, the girl transforms the broken branch into something whole and new, giving it another purpose, and her another place to treasure.

In this endearing picture book, author Mireille Messier explores a young child's experience with loss and renewal. Though the little girl is heartbroken that her special perch in the tree is gone, the kindness and vision of her neighbor, combined with her own creativity and determination, help her recognize that it can have a new life in a different form. The charming intergenerational relationship adds depth and richness to the story, as it becomes clear they both offer something valuable to each other.

The idea behind this book is perhaps a simple one but this story is brim full of joy. It would be wonderful to see a grandfather and child sharing this book and then perhaps creating something together. 


Image source: Montreal Gazette (see more images from inside this book here)

Here is the book trailer. Pierre Pratt is a Canadian illustrator - you can see his books here (note many are in French). Pierre Pratt is a previous winner of the Elizabeth Mrazik-Cleaver Canadian Picture Book Award in 2003 and again in 2014 (finalist). Lots of his books have Kirkus Star reviews.


Awards for The Branch:

  • Short-listed for the 2016 Governor General Award, Young People’s Literature Illustrated Book category.
  • Short-listed for the Maine’s Readers’ Choice Chickadee Award.
  • Nominee for the Surrey School’s Picture Book of the Year Award.
  • Finalist for the 2018 Forest of Reading Blue Spruce Award.
  • Finalist for the 2018-19 Saskatchewan Young Readers’ Choice Award, Shining Willow category


I previously talked about this book by Mireille Messier:




I am keen to see this book:



No comments: