Thursday, October 1, 2026

World Postcard Day October 1st



I really love picture books and other children's books that contain letters and sometimes they even contain postcards such as the ones in The Jolly Postman. I have a collection of postcards featuring vintage Puffin books and recently I read that very few people now send personal letters and postcards and that these deliveries from Australia Post have almost disappeared. Putting all these things together, I decided to celebrate World Postcard Day this year by sending a postcard to twelve of my friends. As I write this post (September 29th) three have arrived.








You can read about the history of postcards here. World Postcard Day began in 2020. As an extension of this topic for a group of older students could be the investigation of the very special postcards sent during World War I which were created with embroidery. 




Take a look at this post from my friend at Kinderbookswitheverything - October 1st is a day with so many celebrations - not just postcards!

No comments: