Wednesday, September 16, 2020

I Always Wanted One by Olivier Tallec



Here is the perfect book about point of view. I Always Wanted One has a dog and a boy on the front cover so you might assume it's the boy who has always wanted a dog but now that I have mentioned  point of view I guess you have worked out this book is about a dog and his boy!

The story opens on Christmas morning. 


"I always wanted one. So that morning, when I saw him there, I could not believe my eyes! I got a little bit closer and my heart beat a little bit faster. I could see straight away how cute he was with his big beautiful eyes."

Oddly this new friend does not want to eat off the floor; he doesn't fit in the (dog) house; and he needs walking every day. "But I like showing him off. All my friends have one too, but I think mine is the best one."

I especially like this way is read "sideways" or as I read Italian XXL format.  I have mentioned this in previous posts but I long to find a book I adored as a child about a puppy that is given as a Christmas present. I Always Wanted One made me think about that book, from the 1960s, all over again. I Always Wanted one was originally published in French under the title J'en rĂªvais depuis longtemps. You can see and hear the French text here.

Here are some review comments from French bloggers:

His sense of dialogue and repartee hits the mark every time!

Little by little, our two protagonists will tame each other,a strong bond will be created between them.

I have talked about other books by the talented Olivier Tallec here:




Olivier Tallec has two new books:




Here are some other books where the story is told by a dog talking about his human:



1 comment:

kinderbooks said...

And A Boy in Dog House by Betsy Duffey my all time favourite about point of view and the dog's view.