Sunday, September 6, 2020

Charming Opal by Holly Hobbie


Many years ago I discovered the book series which features two little pigs called Toot and Puddle written by Holly Hobbie. There are more than eight books in the series and one that I had forgotten is Charming Opal. Recently some one asked a question about Tooth Fairy books (more on that in a moment) and when I did a book search many lists included this title - Charming Opal. Today I picked it up in my favourite school library and yes this is a book about the tooth fairy and yes it is truly charming!

Opal, cousin to Toot and Puddle, is visiting Woodcock Pocket. Her tooth is loose. Toot offers to help pull out the tooth but Opal wants to wait and just let it fall out when the time is right. Unfortunately the tooth falls out when the friends are swimming but brave Toot dives to the bottom of Pocket Pond and he finds the tooth! Opal carefully places the tooth under her pillow in anticipation of the arrival of the tooth fairy. Toot and Puddle would hate to see Opal disappointed. They worry that the tooth fairy might not find them out here at Woodcock Pocket so they decide to sit up all night and wait. They also prepare a back-up plan just in case the tooth fairy does not arrive but it has been a very long day and soon the two little brothers fall asleep. Did Toot and Puddle need to worry? Is Opal happy? Thank goodness for happy endings.

Here is my most favourite tooth fairy book:

Why am I talking about the Tooth Fairy? A couple of days ago someone asked this question on a Facebook forum:

"Cute books about the Tooth Fairy for a 5.5yr old girl? I saw April Underhill, Tooth Fairy recommended.... same book as April and Esme, Tooth Fairies?"

This question has two parts.  I will begin with the second part. April Underhill, Tooth Fairy is a book by Bob Graham. In America it was given a different title and a slightly different cover. More recently Bob Graham published the sequel - The Underhills, a tooth fairy story.

Here are all the covers (note there are only two books but I am showing you the US Cover):




Now onto the first part of the question. I am not sure about the word "cute" but I did search for a definition: "attractive or pretty especially in a childish, youthful, or delicate way".  I know for sure the books by Bob Graham do match the original request.

Now for some other Tooth Fairy picture books. Take a look at this Pinterest collection. Some titles I have shared in my school library on the topic of the Tooth Fairy and also the topic of loose teeth are Andrew's Loose Tooth by Robert Munsch; The Tooth Ball by Philippa Pearce; Dear Tooth Fairy by Alan Durant; and Nice try tooth fairy by Mary Olson.

When this child is a little older I would certainly share the book I put at the top of this post - The Tooth Fairy by Peter Collington. This is a magical wordless or textless book. Another special book is The Tooth Mouse by Susan Hood.


A book with an Australian flavour is It's a Miroocool by Christine Harris illustrated by Ann James.


My favourite Tooth Fairy book is not a picture book - it is a small junior novel - Oliver Sundew Tooth Fairy. 

No comments: