Saturday, September 5, 2020

My Father's Words by Patricia MacLachlan


With her customary precise, spare language, infused with emotional intelligence, MacLachlan takes readers from shocked grief to a way to live again, fundamental truths dropped carefully and delicately for young readers to comprehend in their own time.  Simple words make a flawless story about resilience, hope, healing, and the eternal fitness of things. Kirkus Star review

Before I talk about this deeply emotional book please listen to this version of Dona Nobis Pacem (if possible without the distracting video - just enjoy the beautiful voices).  This song and the memory of their father singing is an important story thread in My Father's Words.



Here is the blurb: "A terrible accident one day changes Fiona and Finn O'Brien's lives forever when they are left without a father. Their mother is at a loss. What words are there to guide them through such overwhelming grief? At the suggestion of their friend, Luke, Fiona and Finn volunteer at an animal rescue shelter, where they meet two sweet dogs who are in need of comfort too Perhaps with time, patience, and their father's gentle words in their hearts, hope will spark once more."

Wisdom:

"Children are wise, but they don't know how wise. And sometimes they don't have words for what they know."

"Be thoughtful. Be Smart. ... Be Kind."

"There'll always be the sun. Always the sun. It's a light that never goes out."

"Life sometimes happens with events falling over each other like tumbleweeds in a prairie wind."

"If it's hard, you're doing good things."

Finn reads his favourite book to Emma who is been abandoned at left at the dog shelter. You can see the whole book of The Year at Maple Hill farm here. He also reads The Poet's Dog and Mr Rabbit and the Lovely Present.

Listen to an audio sample from the first chapter and another which begins from chapter three.

I think I can date the book that led to my adult love affair with children's books - YES you may have guessed it was Sarah, Plain and Tall. Ever since reading that book I have kept my eye out for other books by Patricia MacLachlan. Here are some I have read and loved:


And here are a variety of covers for Sarah, Plain and Tall:




Early in 2019 I talked about Just Dance by Patricia MacLachlan and at the time I made this table of connections. I have now added My Father's words:

Music - Just Dance; Fly Away; The Truth of Me; Sarah Plain and Tall; My Father's Words

Dogs - The Poet's Dog; White fur flying; The Truth of Me; Waiting for the Magic; Just Dance; My Father's Words

Poetry - The Poet's Dog; Just Dance; Fly Away

Farms and rural communities - Fly Away; Just Dance; Sarah Plain and Tall

Seeking answers to questions - Just Dance; The Truth of Me; Sarah Plain and Tall; My Father's Words

Family relationships - Sarah Plain and Tall; Just Dance; The Truth of Me; Fly Away; My Father's Words

My Father's Words is a perfect book for a sensitive reader with the added bonus of those beautiful words from their dad, a sister and brother who you will really care about and a special little dog called Emma. I especially appreciated the way Patricia MacLachlan let her characters cry, and cry a lot, in the weeks following their father's death. This book is also about the power of music. Do go back and listen to Dona Nobis. 

Here are three more Patricia MacLachlan books I have added to my "to read" list:




2 comments:

kinderbooks said...

I am finding it hard to believe there are any PM books you haven't read. I loved Baby and Journey.

Momo said...

I listed these two because you mentioned them on a previous blog post but I had forgotten. Hope I can track them down. If I had more shelf space I think I would buy each of her small novels in hardback - that shelf sure would look good!