Saturday, October 24, 2020

School Rules are Optional by Alison Hart


Jesse is in Year Six and things are not off to a good start. He has Mrs Leeman as his teacher (she was his prep teacher and she even taught his dad!); he has lost his Year Six jumper (sweater) and it is only the first day of the year; and the heat of Summer is unbearable when your teacher will not turn on the air conditioning.  This story also contains snails, nits, two floods, the Year Six Camp and goats! Alison Hart covers so many recognisable aspects of school life here in Australia especially for kids navigating their final year in Primary school. 

When I was given the advance copy of School Rules are Optional I did not think this was a book for me! This was confirmed when the sales notes said "for fans of Diary of a Wimpy Kid". So it was a big surprise when I found myself really enjoying this Australian school story and feeling happy that was nothing like Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I especially laughed all through chapter seven which could be titled - Let the snail racing begin! 

School Rules are Optional will be published in early November. I would add it to your shopping list for a school library and as a Christmas present for any 10+ kids in your life.

After reading School Rules are Optional you might look for the Paul Jennings short story Wunderpants from his story collection Unreal and these novels:


1 comment:

Jess64 said...

I'd put off reading this one, but my daughter said it was good. I laughed out loud multiple times.