Tuesday, October 13, 2020

The Wonder Thing by Libby Hathorn illustrated by Peter Gouldthorpe

 



I like to imagine an illustrator receiving a text from an author possibly via a publisher which in this case was Puffin (Penguin). Libby Hathorn's text is beautifully lyrical but it is the illustrations by Peter Gouldthorpe that really bring this book to life. I found my copy at a recent charity book sale and I was so excited! Every page in this book made me gasp! This is a book to read slowly and it is essential to read it from front to back - do not skip to the end - the final page works best when it is a surprise.

Here is part of the text:

High above the peaks

On the wild mountain top 

Deep underground

In the swirling mist

Under melting snow

Down the sheer mountainside

...

One a single leaf

In the rotting mulch

Among the glowing fungi

Through billowing grasslands

And the trackless swamp

...

Powerful as rock

Gentle as kisses

Lovely as life is

For the life it will bring

Splendid as rainbows

A miracle thing

Now take a look at some of the illustrations.  I especially adore the hyacinth.





There are a few mysteries and coincidences associated with this book for me personally. The Wonder Thing was CBCA Notable book in 1996 but I confess I missed this. Peter Gouldthorpe was a student at Avalon Public School decades before I worked there. Members of his family still attend the school. Sadly Peter did call into the school to speak to the previous Teacher-Librarian but I am not sure if he was able to speak to the students. My former school library has 12 books illustrated by Peter Gouldthorpe but oddly they do not have The Wonder Thing. 

I desperately hope their precious copy of Jonah and the Manly Ferry is still in the back office. Before I left in 2017 I put it away as the copy was in bad shape. It is listed as missing in the catalogue. Things to know about Jonah and the Manly Ferry (1983) it is long out of print; it is a VERY significant book because it is about the local area of the Northern Beaches; it was Peter's first book and; like The Wonder Thing, it contains the most amazing illustrations. These illustrations were recently featured as part of an exhibition at the NSW State Library. 


In 1996 Peter Gouldthorpe's work was selected as the  IBBY Australia Honour Book for his title First Light (Gary Crew). Today Peter Goudlthorpe lives in Tasmania.

Here are some books illustrated by Peter Gouldthorpe many of which will be found in Australian school libraries:











In 1997 Peter designed a set of stamps for Australia post. I'm not a stamp collector but I wish I had a set of these.

Read an interview with Peter with the Tasmanian Premiers Reading Challenge team. Here are his Antarctica stamps and click here to see his Trompe L'oeil work in Tasmania. Here is some of his art from a 2018 exhibition.

No comments: