Friday, June 18, 2021

Inside Mouse, Outside Mouse by Lindsay Barett George


"Inside my house there is a mouse,

Outside my house there is a mouse,

who sleeps in a clock.

who sleeps in a stump."

Every now and then I find a book that makes me gasp with delight. In this case it is the huge colourful visual design in this book that is just wonderful. I am very keen to see other books illustrated by Lindsay Barrett George. Inside Mouse, Outside Mouse (2006 ISBN 9780060004682) is sadly difficult to source but you might be lucky and find a copy on a library. In this book the pages alternate between the inside view or perspective and the outside. My favourite page shows the inside mouse exploring a pencil tin with a intriguing image on the can and the outside mouse looking into a huge watering can surrounded by colourful flowers. 

Of course the two mice do meet at the end but perhaps not in the way you might have anticipated. You can see the whole book here. Here is another video which shows the pages as double spreads.

With its large format, clear illustrations, and the most appealing mice readers have ever seen, this will be popular for both group and individual sharing. Kirkus

I would use one of the many versions of Town Mouse and Country Mouse as companion reads.




No comments: