Saturday, June 26, 2021

My magnificent Jelly Bean Tree by Maura Finn illustrated by Aura Parker

There'll be gurgling slurples and dribbly goo, 

As I feast on the best of the crop.

Because fresh jelly beans are so juicy and plump.

(Not all dry like the ones from the shop.)

I wonder how I missed this book back in 2016. The text reads a little like a poem by Edward Lear (think of The Owl and the Pussycat). Here is an interview with Aura Parker about her book. On her web site Maura Finn shares some children's work based on this book. If you can find My magnificent Jelly Bean Tree in a library it is sure to be a hit with your young reading companion. I think this book would also work well as a class read aloud and perhaps you could all enjoy a jelly bean or two after the story. It is still in print so you could add this book to your school or home library. 

Every page of this book is a visual delight. Aura Parker's illustrations are a magical combination of whimsical detail and mouthwatering colour. I particularly loved the jelly bean shaped backgrounds for some of the pages. Delicious! Kids' Book Review


I would pair My magnificent Jelly Bean Tree with this very old classic story:


You might also look for another very old title - Mike's Magic Seeds by Alexander McCall Smith. This is an easy chapter book which I have read over and over again to groups of students in my school library. There is something truly delicious and magic about the idea of plants that grow lollies.

No comments: