Friday, January 21, 2022

The Long Way Home by Corrinne Averiss and Kristyna Litten


This is one of the saddest little junior books I have ever read BUT I am certain a child reading this sweet story will not have these feelings.  As adults we are now so aware of the ravages of dementia. Or course this book is about an elderly elephant grandmother who has some memory loss - it is not meant to be a deep book about dementia but my adult reaction was coloured by my experiences with this horrid disease. 

Otto and Nanu love to take adventures together. Little Nanu has been to Red Rock Cave and Blue Pool but today he is so excited because they will visit Lion Mountain. Nanu, his grandmother will lead the way. 

Publisher blurb Little Tiger: Nanu and Otto are off on a climbing adventure – to the top of Lion Mountain! Otto is a born explorer, just like his grandma, who is brave and bold and can’t resist the urge for adventure. But Nanu is having a forgetting day. She forgets her backpack and the name of the mountain … and then she forgets the way home and leads them deep into the forest. Can Otto remember all the things Nanu taught him about being a great elephant explorer and guide the expedition home?

This book comes from a series of simple chapter books published by Little Tiger. It has 85 pages, with an easy to read font and vibrant colour illustrations on every page. These little books are simply perfect and I highly recommend them for all Primary school libraries. Listen to an audio sample from page 16

I have previously talked about:






And here are some others from Little Tiger that I am keen to read:





Companion read after you read The Long Way Home:



I talked about Corrinne Averiss in a previous post - My Pet Star. You can see some more art by Kristyna Litten here


I have previously talked about these two books illustrated by Kristyna Litten:






No comments: