Saturday, August 27, 2022

If I were a curator ...

 

Image Source: Jane Tanner Drac and the Gremlin by Allan Baillie


A couple of days ago I visited and talked about our new and splendid illustrator exhibition at the State Library of NSW.  I am excited to meet the curator and revisit next week. Over the past week I have been thinking about which illustrators (from Australia) I would include in an exhibition like the one at our State Library. (Here is the pdf link where you can find a list of the featured works/creators).

I decided to use books by Margaret Wild as a jumping off point for my own illustration collection along with a few others.

Margaret Wild is the author of over 80 books and, like Margaret Mahy from New Zealand, her books employ a diverse range of illustrators.  Here are some books by Margaret Wild with illustrators I would include in "My Exhibition of Australian illustrators". Under each book cover you will see the illustrator name and my book selection if I were a curator ...


Kim Gamble (1952-2016) - feature book Our School Fete by Louise Pfanner or Pog by Lyn Lee


Gregory Rogers (1957-2013) - feature book Space Travellers or Omar the Strongman.


Kerry Argent - featured book Wombat Divine by Mem Fox or Sebastian Lives in a Hat by Thelma Catterwell


Noela Young (1930-2018) - featured book Toby or The Muddle-headed wombat by Ruth Park


David Legge - featured book Bamboozled


Freya Blackwood - featured book The Boy and the Elephant (CBCA 2022 Picture book short listed) or My Two Blankets by Irena Kobald (note this is part of the current "real" exhibition)


Ron Brooks - featured book Fox or The Bunyip of Berkeley's Creek 


Stephen Michael King - featured book Three or Where does Thursday go by Janeen Brian.   (note Stephen Michael King's book Amelia Ellicott's Garden is part of the "real" exhibition).


Jane Tanner - featured book Storm whale by Sarah Brennan or Drac and the Gremlin by Alan Baillie.


Julie Vivas - featured book Puffling or The Very Best of Friends  (note Julie Vivas is featured in the "real" exhibition with her book Possum Magic). 


Ann James - featured book Lucy Goosey or It's Miroocool by Christine Harris.

Here is a list of other illustrators for "my exhibition". Use my sidebar to search for books by each of these illustrators. Who would you include?

  • Rod Clement
  • Andrew McLean
  • Anne Spudvilas
  • Patricia Mullins
  • Sophie Blackall (I know she lives in the US)
  • Gus Gordon
  • Gregg Dreise
  • Gabriel Evans
  • Andrew Joyner
  • James Foley
  • Anna Walker
  • Donna Rawlins
  • Craig Smith


No comments: