Monday, December 18, 2023

Twelve days of Letters to Santa Day Five - Herman's Letter

 


This is my fifth letter book set at Christmas. Confession: I had no idea this book related to Christmas. Looking at my original post from 2014 I did not add that as a label but the final scenes in this heartwarming story do culminate at Christmas. I realise now the cover looks quite Christmasy with the tree, snow and woolly scarf. 

Dear Herman,

I hope you are well.  I haven't received ANY of your letters.  There must be a problem with the post or something.
I miss you so much!
You're my best friend in the whole wide world.
Please say you'll come and visit me soon.

Love Henry

Herman does write back but then he has a terrific idea - he will deliver the letter himself.  He embarks on a long and dangerous journey made even harder by the fact that it is now time for this bear to hibernate. 

Herman is found snoring in the snow. Clearly, they need a postman to make this delivery. Later the next day an enormous parcel arrives addressed to Henry. Inside Henry finds Herman but he is asleep because he is hibernating. On the second last page we see Henry surrounded by Christmas decorations with his tree and a Christmas card on the mantle. Herman is sleeping on the floor and the noise of those snores is so loud Henry has put corks into his ears. Turn to the last page and Spring has arrived. Herman has woken up and this pair of unlikely friends can now share lots of fun times as seen in the photographs scattered across the page.

It is going to be a hot summer here in Australia - Herman's Letter is a terrific cold story set in the snow - it might cool you and your young reading companion down on a hot day. Click the labels at the bottom of this post to find more of my Christmas letter books and more heart-warming books about unlikely friends.

No comments: