Sunday, April 14, 2019

CBCA High Tea with our Stars


Yesterday I attended the event High Tea with our Stars.  I thought I might share some of the new titles which were introduced.

Each author/illustrator had 3 minutes to showcase a new title.  This seems almost impossible and yet each seemed to do this with ease and style. Their enthusiasm and joy in sharing their work was just a delight.  In all 24 book creators took center stage.  Here are a few of the new books that appealed to me.  I have included the book cover and a link to the relevant author/illustrator web site.

Libby Hathorn
New Book : Miss Franklin How Miles Franklin's brilliant Career began
Author website
Something to note: The illustrator of Miss Franklin, Phil Lesnie, also collaborated on A Soldier, a Dog and a Boy.


Aura Parker
New Book: Meerkat Splash
Author website
Something to note:  This new book is told in rhyme and is due for release in July from Penguin Random House


Katrina McKelvey
New Book: Up to Something
Author website
Something to note: Katrina has four picture book titles. She lives in Newcastle and her web site has some terrific book trailers.



Amelia McInerney
New Book: The Book Chook
Author web site
Something to note: Amelia has five more titles coming soon. Read an interview with Amelia.



Emma Quay
Newest Book: Sunbeam Baby
Author web site
Something to note: Emma is the illustrator of two of my favourite read-aloud titles - Bear and Chook and Bear and Chook by the Sea.  I also love her illustrations in Daddy's having a horse and Thank you for my yukky present. Take time to dip into Emma's web site. It has a wealth of resources for teachers and teacher-librarians.



Nette Hilton
New Book series: Princess Peony (Walker Books)
Author web site
Something to note: Nette Hilton has been writing books for twenty years. You might have some of her previous CBCA titles in your school library such as A Proper Little Lady, The Long Red Scarf and In my backyard.


Matt Etheridge or MCD Etheridge
New Book: Whitebeard
Author web site
Something to note: Matt is a journalist. If you invite him to your school everyone will adore his resonant speaking voice.


Carolyn Eldridge-Alfonzetti
New Book: Around the globe with Gramps
Author web site
Something to note: You can see examples of Carolyn's work in our NSW School Magazine. I think it would be interesting to talk to Carolyn about her amazing surname.


Frances Watts
New Book: Leonard doesn't dance
Author web site
Something to note: Leonard Doesn't dance will be released in May, 2019.  Frances is the author of some very special picture books but I would like to draw your attention to one of her middle grade novels The Song of the Winns.  I do hope you can find this in a school or local library. It is one of those older books that deserves to be re-discovered. I did think It's a Story Rory! would be a CBCA Notable title - make sure you find this book and share with with a group of children it is hilarious.




Antonia Presenti
New Book: not due until October I don't know the title but it is about time and I know I want it.
Something to note: Antonia and Hilary Bell are the creators of Alphabetical Sydney and Numerical Street. These are key texts in my school and one of my talented teachers has developed some very rich activities using these beautiful and quintessential Australian books. Antonia is also the creator of the very innovative board book Rhyme Cordial which was a 2019 CBCA Notable title.


Oliver Phommavanh
New Book: Don't follow Vee (due out in May, 2019)
Author web site
Something to note: Oliver was the perfect presenter to round off these 24 three minutes talks. He is so enthusiastic and has terrific comic timing. I really enjoyed his earlier books Thai-riffic and Con Nerd.



Other author/illustrators who attended this event were:
Catherine Greer, Anne Donnelly, Peter Macinnis, Karen West, Susan Hancy, Elizabeth Cummings, Shelly Unwin, Kate Forsyth, Paul Russell, Lesley Gibbs and Jacqueline Harvey.

Lesley Gibbs read a poem from the beautiful book Boat of Stars which was recently listed as a 2019 CBCA Notable title.


Finally I am very curious to know more about the illustrator Sadami Konchi.   Here are two of her books:




1 comment:

Sadami said...

Dear Momo, Thank you very much for including me and your lovely smile at "Best Book of the World" and IBBY. You can always check my info on cv in my blog or ASA stylefile. See you soon in conferences or events! Best wishes, special thanks, Sadami ʚ(ˆ◡ˆ)ɞ·.•*•♫°•♫·.•ʚ(ˆ◡ˆ)ɞ