Thursday, September 5, 2019

A Wolf called Wander by Rosanne Parry illustrated by Monica Armino



"I begin in darkness and my nose tells me everything I know. 
I have a brother Sharp. Bigger than me, and all growl. I have sisters. Pounce, who loves to wrestle, and Wag, who talks with her tail. And best of all my brother Warm, who likes to curl up under my chin, the only pup small than me."

This is a quote from the beginning of A Wolf called Wander and I think it gives you an idea about the tone and style of this writing.

Over the course of the story we follow Swift as he wanders alone after his pack are attacked by a larger and more ferocious enemy wolf pack. He travels a huge distance through forests and plains searching all the time for a companion. Every day is about survival - food, water and a safe place to sleep. Luckily Swift does have one unlikely helper/companion - a raven. "Ravens do things for a reason. She is talking to me. She knows where to find meat. But for all their savvy, ravens have the wrong beak for opening a hide. They need someone with teeth to get at the meat." Swift also has to navigate past humans with their guns and their black rivers (roads) which seem impossible to pass safely.

I have a fascination with books about wolves and books written from their point of view. Perhaps this goes back to my reading of White Fang by Jack London when I was in Grade Six.  A Wolf called Wander is not for the feint hearted. As a part of his survival Swift (his name is changed to Wander at the end of the book) must kill and dismember animals such as elk. These scenes may distress a young reader.

The best scenes are when Swift is reunited with Warm, when he witnesses the birth of a wild horse foal and the final scenes when he meets his mate called Night and their pups are born. Reading this book you will feel as though you are inside the true thoughts of a wolf - his instinct and emotions. Rosanne Parry often says Swift has to "sit on his wag" when he is excited about something. I just love those words.

Listen to this audio sample from page 3. A Wolf Called wonder is an illustrated novel. The line drawings by Monica Armino are fabulous.


The book is from Swift’s perspective but I should be clear that this is not an attempt to anthropomorphise wolves – their behaviour and communication is in keeping with the animal. It’s almost like Parry has translated the behaviour for our benefit and understanding. Roachie's Review

Other books I have read and enjoyed about wolves include The Wolf Wilder; First Born and Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver.



No comments: