Thursday, November 7, 2019

The CILIP Carnegie and Kate Greenaway children book awards 2020



The Cilip Carnegie and Kate Greenaway medal nominations have been released.  Lists like this are so exciting especially when I see books I have read and loved. Lists like this are also a way to create my own reading list of books I can now hunt for. There are lots on the Greenaway list I need to read but I was pleased to see books I had read and loved included on the Carnegie list.

Carnegie Books 



Here are the titles I've already talked about (on this blog). 

Where the river runs gold by Sita Brahmachar

No Ballet shoes in Syria by Catherine Bruton

Swimming against the storm by Jess Butterworth

Louisiana's Way home by Kate diCamillo

The secret Starling by Judith Eagle

Lenny's Book of Everything by Karen Foxleee (Australian title)

The dog runner by Bren MacDibble (Australian title)

The Skylarks war by Hilary McKay

Anna at War by Helen Peters

The Good Thieves by Katherine Rundell

Lampie and the Children of the sea by Annet Schaap

Our Castle by the sea by Lucy Strange

Cloud Boy by Marcia Williams


Carnegie books I've read but not discussed here:

Toffee by Sarah Crossan
This is a wonderful Young Adult verse novel. The depth of emotion explored in this story will linger with me forever.

The words that fly between us by Sarah Carroll
I need to talk about this book on my blog. I enjoyed the complex relationships in this book and the exploration of betrayal.

The Afterwards by AF Harrold
As with The Imaginary, I found this to be a disturbing book. The final scenes helped me cope with the way grief is explored here.

A different land by Paul Jennings (Australian title)
I was only able to borrow this for a short time. I will talk about it here when I can borrow it again. This is the third in a series by Paul Jennings and he again demonstrates he is a master storyteller. I highly recommend the previous two books A different dog and A different boy.


Greenaway Medal



Here are the titles I've already talked about (on this blog)

Captain Rosalie illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault

Pie in the Sky by Remy Lai

The suitcase by Chris Naylor-Ballesteros

I am the seed that grew the tree illustrated by Fran Preston-Gannon

Australian titles on the Greenaway list:

Tales from the Inner City by Shaun Tan

Wisp - a story of hope by Zana Fraillon

The Dam by David Almond has an Australian illustrator - Levi Pinfold

Happy Reading

No comments: