Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Hey, Sherlock! by Simon Mason





There are tiny hints about the plot of this mystery/crime adventure on the covers (the front as you can see above but also the back) - surveillance camera; beanie; van; purple hoodie; gun; and slot machine.

Amy Roecastle is missing. She is rich and a rebel. A boy is murdered in the centre of the city. Garvie Smith is caught up in the action. He is a sleuth who quietly observes the world looking for patterns and inconsistencies. Then there is the issue of the police, especially Inspector Singh. Singh knows the truth is out there but his biggest frustration is the way Garvie knows so much but says so little. Garvie is only a teenager. Why is he so much smarter than any experienced police officer?


I rarely read Young Adult books but this one was part of my last reading collection from Beachside Bookshop.  I am so glad it was in my bag because I thoroughly reading this contemporary crime fiction.  If you are a fan of television crime shows I am certain you will enjoy Hey, Sherlock. I felt as though I just wanted to binge watch the whole series in one go.  I highly recommend this book for readers aged 14+.


As I was reading Hey, Sherlock I suspected there must have been previous incidents where readers had met Garvie. Having said that this book can certainly stand alone. I have only discovered the early volumes tonight. I may need to read both of these because in each book Garvie (a boy I would like to meet) grows a little older and moves on from school to his post-school life.  Read an interview with Simon Mason.  Here are the first two Garvie Smith Mysteries. I do like the way the covers show they are a series:




Some facts about Garvie Smith from inside the front cover:
  1. Lazy, rude, golden-hearted, aggravating, economical with the truth, kind (to those who deserve it).
  2. Highest IQ at Marsh Academy
  3. Lowest grades.
  4. Best mates with Felix (cat burglar), Smudge (stupidest boy at school and proud of it), Alex (who’s been selling something he shouldn’t).
  5. Wouldn’t dream of telling his mother he loves her. Besides, she wants to move back to Barbados and what is the point of that?
  6. Smokes, mainly tobacco.
  7. Liked by girls.
  8. Hated by the police, teachers, other boring adults.
  9. Exceptionally good at maths.
  10. Scared of dogs.

No comments: