Monday, February 8, 2021

I Feel a Foot! by Maranke Rinck and Martijn van der Linden


Turtle, Bat, Octopus, Bird and Goat are confronted with a huge creature. Each describe this monster from their own point of view. Turtle can feel a foot "just like my foot, but super big". Bat can feel a wing "just like my wing, but super big." Octopus is sure she is touching a tentacle, but extra super big. Birds find an extra superduper big beak and goat is sure the creature has a goatee which is "fantastically, amazingly extra superduper big."



What is the creature? Can you guess? What a shame I didn't discover this book last year. It links so perfectly with the 2020 CBCA slogan - Curious Creatures Wild Minds. I feel a foot was published in 2008 but an English translation in paperback was published in 2019. I was excited to read the publisher has plans to produce this book in a tactile format for blind children.



In this retelling of the familiar Sufi tale, a group of small animals meets a big new friend, one body part at a time. Kirkus Star review

I feel a foot was originally published in The Netherlands with the title Ik voel een voet! Take a look here at other books illustrated by Martijn van der Linden. Maranke Rinck is his wife. This is a book with wonderful illustrations which will inspire your school art teacher.

I would link I Feel a Foot with these:





No comments: