Saturday, April 1, 2023

My April reading pile

 


This month I have new books, classic stories, and a couple of very old (long out of print) titles on my to read pile. Some I am rereading while others are new discoveries. 

Classic stories:


Mary Poppins by PL Travers illustrated by Lauren Child (abridged text)

I did read Mary Poppins as a young child. I was surprised to discover the original story was published in 1934. I do adore collage art by Lauren Child so when I spied this book in a wonderful library I eagerly grabbed it with both hands. It is a large format book which I think might be part of a series illustrated by Lauren Child. I already own her version of The Secret Garden. 


Poppy by Avi

I first read Poppy back in 1995 when it was published and I then went onto read all of the Poppy stories - Ragweed (the prequel to Poppy); Poppy and Rye; and Ereth's Birthday.  I purchased glorious hard cover editions of these books for my former school library. Unfortunately untrained staff completed a massive cull of the collection but I do hope the Poppy series survived. I am looking forward to rereading Poppy.

Old books - Out of print


The Secret in the Compost Bin by Margaret Pearce

This book was published in 1990. I am fairly sure I didn't read it back then but a quick glance inside shows that this book has terrific line illustrations by an unfamiliar name - Sharon Thompson. 

Here is the blurb: It's not fair! Jeremy and his parents have moved into a house of their own at last, but he's still not allowed to have a pet. His parents say pets cost too much to feed, and they're messy. Then Kate, his cousin, comes to the rescue. Her tortoise has been laying eggs, and she says Jeremy may have one. But the egg Jeremy finds looks nothing like a tortoise egg. It is much too big, and it is the wrong colour. Jeremy doesn't care, though. He decides to take it home and put it in the compost bin to keep warm, and when it hatches it will be his secret pet - whatever it is!"

This plot reminds me of another old book that I long to find again - Falcon's egg. Falcon is the girl in the story and the egg that hatches on the roof of a city building is certainly a surprise.


The Big Brass Key by Ruth Park

This book was first published in 1983. It is timeslip story set in Manly which is not too far from where I live. Ruth Park is a very famous Australian author - especially for her book Playing Beattie Bow. I remember having a small hardcover copy of this book in one of my first school libraries. The old paperback I borrowed this week is in very poor shape and so it will probably been weeded. I told the teacher-librarian I would report back and tell her if the story has stood the test of time. Of course if this book was every reprinted I think it will need a more appealing cover.

Newer books and other library books I have borrowed:


The day no one was Angry by Toon Tellegen illustrated by Marc Boutavant

Last week I read another book  by Toon Tellegen (The Squirrel's Birthday and Other Parties illustrated by Jessica Ahlberg)   Toon is a best selling Dutch author who has written over fifty books for children.  The little volume I read is part of a series of animal stories. I found them strange, intriguing and oddly a little unresolved. Other books in the series illustrated by Jessica Ahlberg (daughter of the famous Allan and Janet Ahlberg) are Letters to Anyone and Everyone; A Great and Complicated Adventure; and Far Away Across the Sea. The second book after The day no one was Angry is No one is Angry Today.


Medusa Jones by Ross Collins

This was published in 2008 so I imagine it is long out of print but the cover really appealed to me. This book, on a quick glance, looks like an interesting, and funny way to introduce famous figures of Greek Mythology to younger children which will then assist them when they are older and perhaps read the Percy Jackson book series.


Guinea Pig Superstar! by Ali Pye

I had no idea Ali Pye had written a sequel to The Adventures of Harry Stevenson which was a book I read in 2019 and thoroughly enjoyed. This second book was published in 2020 and I think I have discovered a third installment - Go, Go Guinea Pig (2021). 

Here is the bookseller blurb: Join Harry Stevenson - small guinea pig and unlikely hero - on two BIG new adventures. Harry Stevenson is VERY excited. He's off to school with his best friend Billy! Billy can't wait to show Harry off in Show and Tell but when another classmate brings in his pet snake, chaos ensues! Can this small guinea pig survive his first day at school? And when a thief - dressed up as a chicken - steals Sparky FC's championship cup, Harry Stevenson finds himself caught up in a real-life robbery! Can Harry stop the thief and save the day?




Einstein the Penguin by Iona Rangeley illustrated by David Tassyman

I adore the serendipity of library discoveries. The wonderful library that I visit each week had this book among their newest acquisitions. I love the cover so I asked the Teacher-Librarian if I could be the first person to read this new book - and luckily for me - she said YES.

I have never head of the author or the illustrator but this is not surprising because I now discover this is a debut novel and others are coming.  With 236 pages this is a longer junior novel. The next two titles are: The case of the Polar Poachers and The case of the Fishy Detective. The covers are very appealing.

Publisher blurb: When the Stewarts spend a sunny, frosty December day at London Zoo, they’re enchanted by one small penguin. At the delight of young Imogen and Arthur, Mrs Stewart insists the penguin “must come and stay with them whenever he likes.” But not one Stewart expects the penguin to turn up at their door that evening, rucksack labelled “Einstein” on his back… The family’s new feathered friend helps Arthur to come out of his shell and makes massive demands on Imogen’s amateur sleuthing. But together they must find out why Einstein came to them and they must keep away from the mysterious white-coat man. And Einstein can’t stay forever, can he…? 


Gustav and Henri by Andy Matthews and Peader Thomas

This is a junior graphic novel (my friend labels them as TOON). So far there are two books in the series. Andy Matthews is a Melbourne-based writer, comedian and actor. Peader Thomas is an illustrator and comic book artist from Melbourne. I do collect junior books about unlikely friends and I like the description that says this book contains three short stories. 


The Beasts of Grimheart by Kieran Larwood

I probably didn't need to actually BUY myself another book but I loved the first two instalments in this series and I found a new independent book shop in a nearby suburb so as a way to support them I thought I should buy a book - and this one jumped off the shelf and into my bag. I am excited to catch up with Podkin once again. 




No comments: