Thursday, November 30, 2023

No one but you by Douglas Wood illustrated by PJ Lynch



If I still worked in my school library, I would love to display one double page spread from this book each week. The text is a gentle celebration of small moments, quiet contemplations of the world. The illustrations are joyous and so very appealing as you would expect from PJ Lynch. And it helps that this is a big format picture book so each image has even more impact.

Here are some text samples:

"No one but you can feel the rain kiss your skin or the wind ruffle your hair. And no one but you can walk through a rain puddle in your bare feet."


"No one but you can gently hold a turtle with your own hands and count the plates on her back and the stripes on her chin, feel the hardness of her shell and the soft scratching of her claws, and imagine what a turtle's life is like as she swims back into the blue-green shadows of her world."

"And who else but you will roll a glistening dewdrop from a rose petal onto your tongue or savor a red, ripe strawberry or a golden drop of honey and know what it tastes like just to you?"



Every now and then I borrow a book from the library and wonder - how did I miss this? And then I reach for my computer to see if I can perhaps purchase a copy. Of course, this 2011 book is long out of print. If I wanted to spend over AUS$110 I could buy a new copy - I have to say I tempted.

Blurb from Walker Books: Feel the rain kiss your skin or the wind ruffle your hair. Hear the hum of a bumblebee; watch a water strider march across a pond; taste a red, ripe strawberry; whistle with a blade of grass. From Christopher Medal-winning author Douglas Wood and celebrated illustrator P.J. Lynch comes a moving look at the experiences that belong only to us, marking a place on Earth that is ours alone. After all, who but you can remember your own memories? Wonderfully evocative of nature’s sensory treasures, here is a perfect gift to share with a child — or to inspire loved ones of any age as they set out to create their special place in the world.



No comments: