Monday, August 17, 2026

Gander: The Town that Welcomed the World by Nikki Bergstresser illustrated by Reilly Fitzgerald

The musical Come from Away is based on the events in Gander in 2001. This production affected me so deeply when I first saw it in London that I went on to see it again here in Australia in Melbourne and last month again in Vancouver and now I have discovered there is a children's picture book about these events. I originally went to see this show after reading a detailed article in our Sydney Morning Herald back in 2019.


I rarely talk about books I have not seen, but Gander: The Town that Welcomed the World is not readily available here in Australia but I think it looks good. I have read a couple of reviews and seen some pages. IF it ever comes here, it is a book I would like to own. Gander is a new picture book published in June 2026.


Image from publisher page

Publisher blurb: On September 11, 2001, thousands of travellers were stranded far from home in a town called Gander, Newfoundland. They were strangers in a place most had never heard of before. Scared and confused, the travellers were not sure what to expect. Gander: The Town That Welcomed the World is a true story about a world that was hurting and a community that came together with kindness, compassion, and East Coast heart. With sparse text and painterly illustrations, Nikki Bergstresser and Reilly Fitzgerald thoughtfully capture and commemorate this 9/11 story for a new generation.









No comments: