Friday, July 23, 2021

Nimesh the Adventurer by Ranjit Singh illustrated by Mehrdokht Amini

 


It is the end of the school day. Nimesh sets off on his journey. He is a boy with tons of imagination. He knows he not really at school - he is in a cave with a sleepy dragon; the school corridor is filled with sharks swimming under the water; out on the road Nimesh finds himself on a dog sled at the North Pole. Every page turn is a visual delight. Your young reading companion will enjoy finding all the clues in the illustrations and this is a book you could read many times because you are sure to make new discoveries.


This fun, fast-paced narrative will have readers eager to turn the page and imagine their own fanciful scenarios. Kirkus

Here is a web site with teaching ideas and a wonderful story telling video by Love My Books. You can see the whole book here.

I am preparing a talk for IBBY Australia focusing on International illustrators. In the course of my research I saw this book for a really good price. It reminded me of this one:



This book also reminded me of:




I also like keep my eye out for books which celebrate using your imagination. I have a Pinterest of books on this topic which I started with some Kindergarten teacher colleagues who set up a unit of work on imaginative stories to use with their classes.  This initiative made my book heart smile. I also like to collect Tall Tales.

Read this interview with Mehrdokht. Here are some other books illustrated by Mehrdokht Amini. She was born in Iran but now lives in the UK:




No comments: