Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Old Worlds, New Worlds, Other Worlds - Science Fiction

 


Science Fiction  Definition (Read Write Think):

Science fiction is a genre of fiction in which the stories often tell about science and technology of the future. It is important to note that science fiction has a relationship with the principles of science—these stories involve partially true partially fictitious laws or theories of science. It should not be completely unbelievable, because it then ventures into the genre fantasy. The plot creates situations different from those of both the present day and the known past. Science fiction texts also include a human element, explaining what effect new discoveries, happenings and scientific developments will have on us in the future. Science fiction texts are often set in the future, in space, on a different world, or in a different universe or dimension. 

I vividly remember the first children's Science Fiction book I read (as an adult). It was Trillions by Nichols Fisk. I was working with a young reading student. For my teaching degree we had to work with a child for several months with the goal of increasing their reading score. I didn't think too much about the score but rather I wanted this young boy to fall in love with reading so I hunted out as many Science Fiction (his passion) books beginning with really simple titles and eventually introducing longer and more complex books. Of course his reading score went up!

In this post I plan to share some Science Fiction books. These might be a way to explore two of the phrases from the CBCA slogan for 2021 - NEW WORLDS and OTHER WORLDS. I have not included books about robots - I might talk about them in a future post. I have only included books I have actually read. You are sure to other favourites in your own library or personal collection. Please share them in the comments. 

Picture Books



















Senior Primary novels

If you have older students (Grade 5 or 6) who are keen on or would like to dip into Science Fiction here are a few titles I previously enjoyed (Note some will now be out of print but they might be in a school library possibly with a different cover). I have not included dystopia titles such as the Shadow Children series by Margaret Peterson Haddix or books by our own Australian writer Bren McDibble.

















Funny Books

Books like The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams show us that Science Fiction can be fun. Here are some titles for your junior students:





No comments: