Saturday, July 24, 2021

Running out of Night by Sharon Lovejoy

 


Publisher blurb: Every day is a misery for a nameless, motherless Southern girl who is treated cruelly by her pa and brothers. Her life changes forever when a runaway slave named Zenobia turns to her for help and shelter. Longing for her own freedom, the girl decides to run away, and she and Zenobia set off on a harrowing journey. Along the way, Zenobia names the girl Lark, after the bird, for her ability to mimic its song.  Running by night, hiding by day, the girls are pursued by Lark’s pa and brothers and by ruthless slave catchers. Brightwell, another runaway slave, joins them, and the three follow secret signs to a stop on the Underground Railroad. When the hideout is raided and Zenobia and Brightwell are captured, Lark sets out alone to rescue her friends.

Cliffhanger endings for nearly every chapter prove that adventure tropes can work just as well in historical fiction to keep the pages turning, and a happy but bittersweet conclusion ensures that both girls finally find safety. Bulletin of the Centre for Children's Books

I read this book as an ebook. It was first published in 2014 and here in Australia the paperback is nearly $25 which seems terrible to me considering this is a book with just 300 pages. I much prefer print books but the advantage of an ebook is I can highlight pieces of text to quote here which will give you a flavour of this powerful writing:

"I don't have no name. My mama died just when I were borned and nobody bothered to give me one, ceptin Grandpa, who always called me Sweet Girl when we were alone."

"I squared my chin and bit down on my tongue to keep it from waggin me into trouble again."

"I learnt a long time ago that turnin into a shadow, disappearin into whatever was round me were sometimes the only way to stay alive."

"I belonged to him, like his hunting dogs and his guns. He wouldn't never give up looking for me around here."

"Grandpa always told me that bad beginnings are a sign of a good endin. I hoped I didn't have to wait too long for a the good to come."

"And why did I have to take a beatin for someone I didn't even know, or care about? Someone who probably wouldn't give me a butter bean if I were the hungry one. Why should I risk my own hide for her?"

"Not bad enough that I'm a mite smaller than most girls, and that my ugly red hair stands out like broom corn, but now look what I were stuck with - a tall, raggedy runaway slave girl who dragged trouble behind her like a tail. We'd stick out worse n'chickens in Sunday dresses."

"What were that bird you were singin to?' 'That were a lark,' I answered. 'I be thinking on that and now I namin you Lark, ... that a name you can keep. You (are) Lark."

"I looked down. Me and Zenobia set next to each other, our arms wrapped around out legs. Her arms was the colour of dark clover honey, mine pale, white, and freckled like a wood thrush's chest. I had forgot that we was different colours."

There are some rich words in this book and I enjoyed the authentic Southern voice. I learnt these new words: scuppernong (grape); crawdad (crayfish); fetters (metal ankle chains); pinders (peanuts); buckeye (a seed); and milk name (first name given to a baby).

Here in Australia we have a weekly newspaper column penned by the radio journalist and presenter Richard Glover.  I love these quotes from his recent writings:

Saturday 24th July, 2021 "Books are best read in one or two sittings. In the before times, I could take a couple of weeks to read a book ... The plot would lose it momentum. ... A good author deserves a few hours of continuous reading."

I'm glad I read Running out of Night over two or three long and very absorbing sessions. 

Saturday 30th April, 2021 "Every book is a meeting of minds. ... Reading is an intense experience. ... The reader, after all, is the one who brings the text to life. A text without a reader, is a score without a piano. And then there’s the variation in pianos – some are out of tune, unable to even attempt the high notes; others have the ability to bring the score to tuneful life. ... Certainly, reading is not a passive activity. If the book is good, it should be transformative, leaving you slightly altered. Maybe even improved." SMH

I would add to this some wisdom (not as well expressed) about the way, as a reader, you put yourself into the hands of an author - trusting they will keep you (and their characters who may now be your friends) safe. I felt this way right through Running out of Night. So many utterly dreadful, violent, frightening, and truly terrible things happen to Lark and her new friends but I just kept hold of Sharon Lovejoy's hand, confident in the knowledge she would keep me, and those precious children, safe. 

In the author notes I discovered Sharon Lovejoy once owned a herb shop. In this book Lark uses herbs with great care and wisdom. Sharon has added her own passion to the story in a beautiful way. I recommend Running out of Night for mature readers aged 11+. 

This book reminded me of these:








I am now also keen to read Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis. Reviews also mention Trouble don't last by Shelley Pearsall and Stealing Freedom by Elisa Carbone. 

No comments: