Monday, February 27, 2023

Overlooked Classics




On Facebook this morning there was a post listing a dozen overlooked classics as selected by an Australian author Allison Tait (not that any of her middle grade selections are actually Australian but there are plans for an Australian list later and I desperately hope will NOT include The Magic Pudding - a book which has not stood the test of time in my view). This overlooked classics list is quite timely as debate rages over changes to popular books by Roald Dahl. I won't add fuel to that debate here. 

I agree with some of Allison's choices and naturally disagree with others so I thought I would do my own list of overlooked classics. I do welcome this discussion because I am often infuriated when people ask to hear about "new" books when there are SO many wonderful books we can share with young readers. 

Just to quote from the Facebook post:

"Classics are an interesting area. Some of them withstand the test of time beautifully, both others just seem tired an old-fashioned."

The list on Facebook does not suggest the usual classics of The Secret Garden; Pippi Longstocking' Charlotte's Web and Anne of Green Gables because, perhaps, everyone knows these? 

Here are a few of my comments about Allison Tait's list:

Noel Streatfeild - I have talked about Ballet Shoes; When the Siren Wailed; Thursday's Child -  am not sure which book is my own favourite.

The Dolls House by Rumer Godden - but my choices would be Miss Happiness and Miss Flower and Holly and Ivy

Catherine Called Birdy by Karen Cushman - every book by Karen Cushman could be on this list of overlooked classics. I am so happy that I once had dinner at in IBBY Conference with Karen and I was able to (badly) express how much I adore her books. I love The Midwife's Apprentice; and The Ballad of Lucy Whipple.

Emil and the Detectives by Erich Kastner

Frog and Toad by Arnold Lobel - these are terrific but seem like a strange addition when most of the list seems aimed at readers aged 10+

Carries' War by Nina Bawden - there are so many wonderful WWII books to include - Goodnight Mister Tom; When Hitler stole Pink Rabbit; and more recent books such as When the sky falls by Phil Earle and The war that saved my life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley.


A little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett - Take a look at my post about the "sequel" by Holly Webb - The Princess and the Suffragette

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken - this would be on my list too.


You might begin your exploration of "overlooked classics" by reading a definition:

Books for Keeps What Makes a Children’s Classic?

Thinking about my list I wonder if there is a cut off date? Should I do a list by country - USA, UK, Canada, New Zealand and of course Australia? 

Perhaps this is a task for another day. For now here is my list of thirteen classic titles which I am going to save and add to my own 'to read' or re-read list. I know many of these are also quite obvious choices and I am sure I could easily list more:

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan


Heidi by Johanna Spyri

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis and sequels

The Railway Children by E Nesbitt

Dicey's Song by Cynthia Voigt and companion books

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula LeGuin

Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Poppy by Avi

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (this blog is named after his book Momo)

The Incredible journey by Shelia Brandford

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

Can I add one more? The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge



If you are looking for more ideas I highly recommend this book:



I restricted myself to thirteen books but the more I think about this I would love to add these but perhaps they are too recent to be called classics?

Time Stops for No Mouse by Michael Hoeye and sequels (1999)

Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver (2004)

Junonia by Keven Henkes (2011) I know this might not yet be a classic but I do love it SO much

Frindle by Andrew Clements (1996)

The invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (2007)

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry or The Giver

I could go on and on and on and on ....


No comments: