Thursday, June 3, 2021

Thursday's Child by Noel Streatfeild

 


"One Thursday you found me on the steps of the church when I was a teeny-weeny baby. And with me in my basket were three of everything, all of the very best quality. (There was a also a note) 'This is Margaret whom I entrust to your care. Each year fifty-two pounds will be sent for her care and schooling."

When Margaret turns ten no money arrives. The kindly village rector and the two elderly ladies who have taken care of her are forced to send Margaret to an orphanage. They are sure she will be well cared for and treated with kindness but, as is the way with most children's books about orphanages, St Luke's is a dreadful place run by a corrupt and cruel matron. 

Of course Margaret escapes along with two young boys - Peter and Horatio who are the brothers of her new friend Lavinia who now works as a scullery maid for Lady Corkberry. The orphanage is terrible but the adventures are splendid as the children are taken on board a canal boat where they walk beside the canal guiding the horse that pulls the heavy boat and at one point Margaret has to assist as a 'legger'.




As the nursery rhyme states - Thursday's child does indeed have far to go.

Monday’s child is fair of face,

Tuesday’s child is full of grace,

Wednesday’s child is full of woe,

Thursdays child has far to go,

Fridays child is loving and giving,

Saturday’s child works hard for his living,

And the child that is born on the Sabbath day

Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay

I have a memory of reading this book when I was in Grade 6 - and now I see it was published in 1970 so this is entirely possible.  When I saw this new edition in a book store last week I decided to revisit this classic story. I loved every minute inside this book and I am now looking forward to reading the sequel - thank goodness there is a sequel because at the end of the first instalment Margaret is poised to become a stage actress and, more importantly, we have not yet discovered the mystery of her heritage. Who is her mother? Why was she placed in a basket on the steps of the church? And why did the money stop coming? The first book has stood the test of time. I think Thursday's Child will be enjoyed by readers aged 10+. 


Here are some past covers of Thursday's Child by Noel Streatfeild

I was intrigued to discover there are so many books called Thursday's child including one by Rumer Godden, and an adult book by Sonya Hartnett.

No comments: