All of my work is done by hand. I’ve never mastered the computer for making art. The computer gives me too many choices and I’m always looking to narrow down the decisions. Working this way is slower, but it also allows for serendipity and being surprised by what’s happening in the process.
Melissa Sweet is an American author and illustrator of children’s books acclaimed for her vibrant mixed-media collage style combining watercolor, gouache, found objects, and layered textures. She has illustrated over 100 titles, including Caldecott Honor books A River of Words and The Right Word with Jen Bryant, and authored award-winning works such as Balloons Over Broadway and Some Writer!. Her art is entirely handcrafted, often based on extensive research and primary sources, and has earned her honors like the Sibert Medal, Orbis Pictus Award, Eric Carle Honors, and the Society of Illustrators’ Lifetime Achievement Award. Wikipedia
Take a look at all these Kirkus Star reviews and here is their interview from 2013. You can also see her work on Facebook and Instagram.
I previously talked about these books illustrated by Melissa Sweet:
My friends and I spied this book in a local public library recently - perfect book for the 2026 CBCA slogan Symphony of Stories.
I am also very keen to find these:
There is an UK mum on Instagram who posts a vintage children's picture book each day - she argues modern books are often not of the same quality and that our children and students should be exposed to 'better' titles. I do like some of the books she shares but I disagree that all recent kids books are of a lesser value. I wonder if she has seen the work of my illustrator today - Melissa Sweet. Here are a few of her recommendations. She has shared over 140 titles, and Jenny has the list of her first 100 titles for sale on her webpage:












No comments:
Post a Comment