Publisher blurb: When Miss Flytrap asks if anyone knows the way to Mr. Grimly’s classroom, Grace’s hand flies up—she can’t help herself, even though she’s a new kid in school and has no idea where to go. Nonetheless, with a book to deliver proudly in hand, Grace sets off on a long, strange journey through a very odd place, full of twists, turns, and creepy characters who give puzzling directions. Climbing dark, cobwebby staircases, feeling her way through a fogged-up playground, careening by zipline from the top of a treacherous tower right into a kitchen window—will she ever find Mr. Grimly’s classroom? With equal parts suspense and humor, author Chris Priestley leads an unsettling school tour for the ages, while Mariachiara Di Giorgio’s atmospheric, immersive illustrations beckon readers on with mesmerizing visual riddles.
Walker books caption for this illustration from
Instagram:
When Grace's teacher, Miss Flytrap, asks her class, "Who knows the way to Mr Grimly’s classroom?" Grace puts her hand up straight away. "Me, Miss. I know the way, Miss!" But Grace is new to the school and she doesn't, in fact, know the way. Not one bit. She doesn't even know who Mr Grimly is. Undeterred, she sets off. But she could never have imagined just how treacherous, wild and epic the journey to his classroom would be, with twists and turns waiting around every dark and gloomy corner... Will Grace ever find Mr Grimly's classroom?
The librarian in this story is named Miss Endpaper!
If you are looking for a Halloween book to share in your library this new book could be a winner with readers in Grades 3 and 4. Candlewick have made a 'tip card' for this book - that's a new term I had not heard of.
Di Giorgio fills this school with an overwhelming sense of wonder, tiny details snuggled into the margins for sharp-eyed spotters to find. The trials of a small child wandering the halls of a new school are broadened to their logical extreme as Grace traverses mysterious classrooms with their even more mysterious faculty, with names like Miss Flytrap, Miss Endpaper, and Mrs. Nightshade. Grace traipses through fog and steam, past a performance of A Midsummer’s Night’s Dream, and, at last, into Grimly’s classroom, where she’s met with a surprise. Kirkus Star review
I understand that it’s a great big metaphor for when kids get lost in spaces that should be familiar to them and suddenly aren’t, but there’s such a sense of fun and play on these pages. And so evocative too! I love the mist, the shadows, and the use of light. I could see a kid poring over these pictures for hours. Betsy Bird
The little girl in this story reminded me of this book. Here are two versions:
Apart from the enticing title I was drawn to this book because I have previously read these books illustrated by
Mariachiara Di Giorgio.
(Highly recommended)
I am really keen to see other books illustrated by Mariachiara:
This is a wordless book based on Hansel and Gretel
No comments:
Post a Comment