Sunday, January 29, 2017

Lost treasure of the Emerald Eye Geronimo Stilton


The Philosophy of Geronimo Stilton :

GERONIMO STILTON AND LIFE

Sometimes Geronimo feels like as though he’s the victim of the unfortunate circumstances he finds himself in. His job absorbs him completely and he feels suffocated by his responsibility to his co-workers, his friends and his family. But at the end of every adventure Geronimo has the feeling of being in complete harmony with himself and the world, because life is beautiful and he is happy to have so many friends and a family as special as his.


This quote comes from the Geronimo Stilton web site - there is a huge section about the "philosophy" of this amusing series.

The Geronimo Stilton series of books are very popular in my library but apart from a quick flip through a few pages I confess I had not read one until a few weeks ago.  Actually I did not read Lost Treasure of the Emerald eye - I listened to the audio version.  I laughed and laughed. Then I wondered about the children who read this series.



Here are a few samples from the text of lines that might make an adult smile but perhaps are lost on younger students :

I'm really not a morning mouse.
One day we're going to end up sipping cheese through straws at Mouse General
Slimy Swiss balls! Someone got up on the wrong side of the hole today!
That night ... I listed to my squeaky sounds sleep tape, and counted grilled cheese sandwiches.
Trap led us into a library filled with books on every subject. Cats. Cheese. Cats who eat cheese and the mice who love them.
The sun sat on the ocean like a cherry on top of a piece of cheesecake.
You know I'm not awake until I've had my cup of steamed cheese (two sugars, hold the milk).

I like the use of graphics which illustrate the words in this book but I imagine it might be a little distracting for some beginning readers.



In this first adventure Thea finds a map. She convinces Geronimo, their cousin Trap and little Benjamin (who stows away) to travel across the oceans to find the Treasure.  There are adventures at sea, a ship wreck, the dangerous journey across the island and of course .... Did they find the Emerald Eye?  You need to read the book to find out.

Geronimo Stilton was originally published and written in Italy.  Scholastic took over producing the series in English and now there are so many extras - television series, an app, online newspaper, audio books and so many spin off series.

Series Statistics
Geronimo Stilton - 66 books
First book Lost Treasure of the Emerald Eye
Kindgom of Fantasy - 10 books
Journey Through time - 4 books
Thea Stilton series - 25 books
Creepella von Cacklefur series - 8 books
Cave Mice series - 14 books
Spacemice series - 10 books
Thea Stilton the Mouseford Academy  - 10 books
Graphic novels - 26 books









2 comments:

kinderbooks said...

Do you have all the series?

Momo said...

Not all but we have a huge number including lots of the spin off series.