Sunday, October 14, 2018

The Wild Robot Escapes by Peter Brown

Cows grazed in the pasture.
Wind rustled through the tall grass.
Clouds drifted over the fields.
Farm machines rumbled and buzzed.
Milk flowed into bottles.
Bottles were packed into boxes.
Boxes were loaded onto the milk truck.
The truck drove away full and returned empty.
Children romped with their dog.
A man sat at his desk.
A robot dreamed of escape.




Many weeks ago I read (or better, actually devoured) The Wild Robot by Peter Brown. It was first published in 2016 and I have been waiting for the sequel to arrive. Every time I enter a bookshop I have searched for - The Wild Robot Escapes. Two weeks ago I found it. I held my breath as I opened the cover. Sometimes sequels are disappointing but not this one. It is just as exciting and intriguing as the first installment.

Read my review of the first book or better I would suggest you need to read the first book. At the end of The Wild robot you will remember Roz was captured after a fierce battle. Now she has been repaired and refurbished and is delivered to Hilltop Farm.

"Mr Shareef pulled a small computer from his pocket. He tapped the screen and bought up a map of Hilltop Farm. 'There you are Roz,' he said as the robot's electronic signal appeared on the map. 'You'll be working all over this farm. And now that you're in the system I can always see right where you are."

Read these lines and then take another look at the title of the book - The Wild Robot Escapes. How will Roz (Rozzum unit 7134) ever escape if her every movement can be tracked?

Roz is desperate to return to her idyllic island and to her son Brightbill. Luckily the two children on the farm love stories and since the loss of their mother they are desperate for a companion. Roz tells stories of an island and about the hatching of an egg. The children love these stories.

"You are correct, children, those robot stories are about me,' admitted Roz, with a hit of sadness in her voice. 'There were so many times that I wanted to tell you the truth about my past ... This is my son. His name is Brightbill.' Reader, there's another important quality that children possess. In addition to being sneaky and smart, they're also compassionate. Children care about others, and about the world, and as Jaya and Jad gazed at Roz and Brightbill, their little hearts were full of compassion."

Take a look at Peter Brown's web page where be describes his plot outlines and research for this book. This is an excellent resource to share with children because Peter Brown shares his editing and re-writing process in such an honest way. Writing this book was a true labour of love. Here is a set of questions to use with this text. You can listen to Chapter 26 here.  This sequel is a ten out of ten book but I highly recommend reading The Wild Robot first.


Science fiction meets fantasy in this delightful sequel that gives readers a unique look into what technology could someday have in store. A must-buy for any middle grade collection. School Library Journal

I don't usually read sequels but I had to read this book. ... Following Roz's journey was magical ... an amazing book, a wild adventure ...  Colby Sharp

Using short, direct sentences (he’s not one to engage in flowery figurative language), short chapters, and a measured pace, he invites readers into Roz’s thoughts. He also returns to the chummy voice of the first book, affectionately addressing readers directly and bringing them into the fold by describing Roz as “our robot.” Roz’s paradoxical self is for all of us. We’re in this together. Chapter 16 Blog


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these books

Anonymous said...

so far im still on the first book and i say its AMAZING