Monday, November 12, 2018

I am the Seed that grew the Tree Part Two

I Am the Seed That Grew the Tree is the size of 12 picture books, with 334 illustrated pages and 366 poems spanning the last four centuries.  Frann Preston-Gannon illustrator




The quote above comes from Frann who illustrated this book. Here is an interview where you can read how she illustrated of I am the Seed that Grew the Tree. What a mammoth task it was to illustrate so many pages. We are so lucky she took on this task - the final book is one to treasure.  I mentioned I will share a poem or two from this glorious book from time to time.

Here are a few more for you to enjoy:

January 21st

Over wintry wind-whipped waves
The white-winged  seagulls wildly sweep:
Weaving, winding, wheeling, whistling,
Where the wide waste waters weep.

Anonymous

July 16th

When the heat of the summer
Made drowsy the land,
A dragonfly came
And sat on my hand,
with its blue joined body,
And wings like spun glass,
It lit on my fingers
As though they were grass.

Eleanor Farjeon

August 7th

THE SHELL

On the shelf in my bedroom stands a shell.
If I hold it close, I can smell
The salty sea.
I can hear the slap
Of the waves as they lap
The sandy shore.
I can feel once more
The tickling tide
As it gently flows between my toes.

John Foster

A friend mentioned this book had a different cover in the US.  I tracked it down - this wasn't easy because it also has a different title. I wonder why?  The Kirkus review says majestic and inspiring as nature itself.   You can see 66 pages inside the book which is the same as the UK version on the publisher web site.


No comments: