Thursday, November 22, 2018

Unicorn! By Maggie Hutchins illustrated by Cheryl Orsini



I sometimes wonder how authors come up with topics for their books. I would like to think it comes from the heart but I imagine someone, perhaps a publisher, whispered to Maggie Hutchins that unicorns are a very hot topic! Nearly every week, possibly close to every day, a young reader in my library asks for a book about unicorns. We do have some of course and you can see them here on my Pinterest but I have to say this book Unicorn! is a very welcome addition. It is aimed at the perfect age - the fans of unicorns are usually in Grades 1 and 2. Kindergarten children will also enjoy Unicorn! This book is a must purchase for all school libraries - I think you might need more than one copy.

Let's begin with the end papers. Cheryl Orsini (I'm a huge fan) has filled them with stars and sprinkles - it is clear magic is happening here. These same patterns appear on the unicorn's coat if you look closely at the cover.

Luka is a special friend so when she becomes ill and has to spend time in hospital it is important to make her wish come true. The problem is Luka wishes for a unicorn. Her friend really tries to solve this:

"I drew one."
"I dressed up."
"I borrowed a pony."

The friend decides it is time to make her own wish. Cheryl uses an image of dandelions to great effect on this double page spread. Finally one morning Luka's wonderful friend (our narrator) wakes up and finds a unicorn under her bed. After all that wishing she says  "I wasn't that surprised."

Luckily the parents and hospital staff can't see the unicorn. This is especially funny when the unicorn does rainbow poop all over the kitchen floor.

You can hear the whole story here but try to grab the book first so you can follow along with the glorious illustrations.

I adore the work of Cheryl Orsini ever since a watched her with a large group of young readers at the Sydney Writers Festival (see the caravan below).  Make sure you look for some of her other books such as Lucy's Book, Caravan Fran, The Tales of Mrs Mancini and The Magic Bookshop.


Cheryl Orsini’s style is bright, colourful and super funky. This is the kind of book that catches your eye from across the room and makes your fingers itch to reach for it. The characters come to life on the page, and I guarantee you won't be able to stop yourself from smiling as you turn the beautiful pastel-coloured pages. Kids Book Review

Image source: http://vintagecaravans.proboards.com/thread/14411/launch-caravan-fran-childrens-book

No comments: