Saturday, January 26, 2019

All about my reading pile - January/February 2019

Image source: https://tinyurl.com/yd2vwfs8


Today I visited my local bookstore and picked up eight books including some Advanced Reader Copies, I bought two books for myself (of course) and then at home I reviewed my existing "to read" pile and saw another six books. In addition to this I know there are two more new titles waiting for collection from the post office. SIGH!

Here are some of these - the total above is 18 just in case you were wondering. We are having a heatwave in Australia right now so staying inside with books to read does seem like a good option - it's just the quantity here that is a bit overwhelming.

Fruitloops and Dipsticks by Ulf Stark
I picked this up at the Children's Hospital from the library where I volunteer. Why? Because I enjoy books that have been translated from other languages, Ulf Stark is Swedish and that's my heritage, and we do have a couple of his books in my school library.
From the blurb: "Simone is twelve. When her teacher mistakes her for a boy called Simon, the trouble really begins. ... Simone just wants to be normal but it's hard in a world of fruitloops and dipsticks!"

Too Small to Fail by Morris Gleitzman
This is a re-read for me. For some reason I forgot to talk about it here on my blog but I have mentioned it on several other posts. I am not a huge fan of Morris Gleitzman but I really loved reading this one about a boy and his dog and his wacky parents. I saw a used copy of this recently and decided to bring it home.

Where the world Ends by Geraldine McCaughrean
Geraldine McCaughrean is the author of several books I read long ago and loved. The Kite Rider, Stop the train, A pack of Lies and The Orchard book of Greek Myths.
From the blurb: "Every Summer Quill and his friends are put ashore on a remote sea stac to hunt birds. But this summer no one arrives to take them home. Surely nothing but the end of the world can explain why they've been abandoned - cold, starving and clinging to life, in the grip of a murderous ocean. How will they survive?

The Button war by Avi
This one has been mentioned on several web sites and podcasts. I am a huge fan of Avi (especially his Poppy series) but this one will be quite different.
From the blurb: "The first button they found. The second they stole. Twelve-year-old Patryk has never left his Polish village and doesn't know much about the outside world. Then one August, with the clatter clatter of an aeroplane, the Great War explodes into his village."

The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan
This is not a new book but I purchased it because the reviews were so compelling. Bookbag said "This is an amazing and poignant book, that is so beautifully written that I didn't even realise I had finished it until I had turned the last page."
From the blurb: "Armed with a suitcase and an old laundry bag, Kasienka and her mother head for England. Life is lonely for Kasienka. At home her mother's heart is breaking, at school friends are scarce. But when someone special swims into her live, Kasienka learns that there might be more than one way to stay afloat."

The Night Diary by Veera Hiranandani
One of our big city bookstores had a promotion in January where books were 20% off the retail price. An offer too good to miss. Sadly I couldn't find any of the books on my 'want to read' list but I did spy this one which looked interesting. I do enjoy an occasional dip into historical fiction.
From the blurb: "Twelve-year-old Nisha doesn't recognise her country anymore. It's 1947, and India, newly freed from British rule, has been divided into two countries: Pakistan and India. Hundreds of thousands are killed crossing borders as the tensions between Muslims and Hindus flare. ... Nisha and her family become refugees and embark on a journey by train and foot to reach their new home."

A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver by E.L. Konsgsburg
This is a favourite book of  my local bookseller and she showed me a beautiful hardcover edition last year.  Today when I spied a cheaper paperback copy I grabbed it.  This is a very old book - first published in 1973. The opening sentence certainly sounds good: "During her lifetime, Eleanor of Aquitaine had not been a patient woman, While she had lived, she had learned to bide her time, but biding one's time is a very different thing from patience. After she had died, and before she arrived in Heaven, it had been necessary for Eleanor to learn some patience."  You will know EL Konigburg from her famous book From the Mixed up files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler.


To Night Owl from Dogfish by Holly Goldberg Sloan and Meg Wolitzer
Holly Goldberg Sloan is the author Counting by Sevens which is a book that left me breathless.
On first glance this book looks quite odd because it consists of a series of emails between these two girls. I think reading this book I could be in for an emotional roller coaster.

Advanced Reader copies with release dates which will help me pace my reading.


  • Hotel Flamingo by Alex Milway due for release 7th February
  • Sherlock Bones and the Natural History mystery by Renee Treml due for release 1st April
  • 52 Mondays by Anna Cidor due for release 4th March
  • A Pinch of Magic by Michelle Harrison due for release 7th February
  • Hapless hero Henrie by Petra James due for release 1st April
  • Swimming against the Storm by Jess Butterworth due for release 4th April
  • Starfell - Willow Moss and the lost day by Dominique Valente due for release 2nd May
  • Costa Banana the gruesome general by Jozua Douglas due for release 26th March (this book was originally published in Dutch)


Over the coming days and weeks watch this space for my thoughts about some or all of these books. Now for the big decision - where to begin? This cover might give you a hint. You may already know I adore Alex Milway - his Pigsticks and Harold books are truly special.



No comments: