Friday, May 3, 2019

Corduroy by Don Freeman




Corduroy is one of my top five picture books and if you consider the hundreds and hundreds of picture books I have read over thirty three years as a Teacher-Librarian this is a fairly huge claim. There is an official Corduroy web site. Here is a wonderful set of discussion questions from the site Teaching Children Philosophy.

Why do I love Corduroy (1968) and the sequel A Pocket for Corduroy (1978)?

Corduroy
I love the eye contact between Lisa and Corduroy as she is led from the store by her mother. Kirkus call this poignant
I love the way Corduroy perseveres when he is looking for his missing button
I love the imagination of Corduroy - could the escalator be a mountain, could the furniture department be a palace
There is real tension when the night watchman discovers Corduroy hiding under the bed
I love that Lisa uses the money from her own piggy bank to pay for Corduroy
The final lines of the first book make me smile :

"You must be a friend,' said Corduroy. 'I've always wanted a friend.'
'Me too!' said Lisa, and she gave him a hug."

Corduroy the DVD/Video
There are so many joyous extras in the Western Woods film:
When Corduroy realises his button is missing he rubs the spot on his overalls just to check
Corduroy discovers a train in the toy department. He twists the 'button' and finds he is careering around the track at high speed
Up in the furniture department the night watchman nearly catches him. Luckily Corduroy places himself in a camping display complete with hat and fishing rod
Pulling off the mattress button the threads break one strand at a time creating wonderful anticipation
When Lisa sews on a new button she asks about his name and decides the name Corduroy will be perfect. Corduroy looks directly at the viewer and moves his head ever so slightly - a magic moment that always delights me.



A pocket for Corduroy
I love talking to the children about how laundromats work and linking this with another famous book Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems
A random comment about checking pockets sets up a new mission for Corduroy to find one for himself
I love the way the artist customer rescues Corduroy and then he thoughtfully dries out his overalls. "He unbuttoned Corduroy's shoulder straps and put his overalls in the dryer ... Then he helped Corduroy put on his warm, dry overalls. ... Corduroy was gently placed on top of a washing machine."
I love the optimism of Corduroy when he is stranded in the laundromat
Again the final lines are to be treasured.
"Oh, Corduroy! Why didn't you tell me you wanted a pocket?' asked Lisa. ... (and) he and Lisa nuzzled noses."

My little Corduroy toy is also very precious to me.




No comments: