Sunday, May 5, 2019

Gardens and Gardening some books to explore

If you have a garden and a library 
you have everything you need.




I will confess I do not have a garden but I do love books about gardens especially picture books for young readers and simple non fiction. My fascination is probably linked with the classic book The Secret Garden. The edition above is illustrated by Inga Moore.  I also was lucky last year to participate in a garden tour in England and my visit to the High Line in New York city is also an experience I treasure.

There are so many topics to explore when you focus on gardens and gardening - seeds, trees, flowers, spring, sustainability, gardens in impossible places (The curious Garden by Peter Brown), magical plants (The Lollipop Tree) and more.  This topic came to mind this week when I spied We are the Gardeners in a bookshop, I purchased Jasper's Beanstalk in a book reminder store and I borrowed Jody's Beans from a school library because it is one of my Tuesday Treasure titles

Here are a few garden related books which I especially like. I could have listed many more. If I have added a colour title you can click the link to read more. You might find these in a school or public library. Some are quite old and of course sadly out of print and one or two here are very new such as the wonderful One Tree illustrated by Bruce Whatley.














Take a look at this blog post by Children's Books Daily for more titles to explore on this topic. I wish you happy gardening and reading!

No comments: