Friday, October 4, 2019

My reading pile for October



As usual my reading pile continues to grow - sometimes it feels taller than me!  I've been buying some books, a few are from a friend, and one is from Beachside Bookshop.

Today I visited two very contrasting book shops.  First off I traveled to Gleebooks. Their children's section is a treasure trove of wonderful books many so different that I don't think you will see them in any other store. Their non fiction titles are especially interesting as are their international picture books. I spent a happy couple of hours browsing and chatting with bookseller Louise Pfanner.  I found two middle grade novels which I can't wait to read (listed below).  I also could not resist picking up the latest picture book illustrated by Emma Chichester Clark.



On the way home through the city I visited a very different book store - Dymocks George Street. Their children's department takes up the whole basement floor but for me their stock holds no surprises.  I was particularly looking for any books that I can include in a brief talk I will give about Australian Picture Books at the USBBY conference in two weeks time. I was pleased to see some old favourite titles such as Fox by Margaret Wild, The Tram to Bondi Beach by Libby Hathorn and My Two Blankets by Irena Kobald along with new titles such as The Underhills: A tooth fairy story by Bob Graham (watch this space for more details about this beautiful book) and Summer Time by Hilary Bell illustrated by Antonia Pesenti.  You might remember how much I adored their two previous books - Alphabetical Sydney and Numerical Street.




On my to read pile:
Alyssa Hollingsworth The Eleventh Trade
Purchased from Gleebooks
Take a look at my review of Sonam and the Silence and you will understand why I need to read this book.
Blurb: "The world inside me expands. Even though my eyes are closed, I see my home. Back in Afghanistan, Sami's grandfather was a famous musician. Even now in Boston, the sound of his instrument, the rebab, is the sound of home. Then the rebab is stolen and appears in a shop for $700. Sami has no money and nothing to sell. What he does have is something to trade."



Nicholas Gannon The Doldrums and the Helmsley Curse
Gift from Beachside Bookshop
This is the second book about Archer Helmsley. I adored the first but I read it such a long time ago so I am planning to re-read the first installment before I continue with the second.
Blurb: "With his best friends, Oliver and Adelaide, and their new neighbor, Kana, Archer sets out on the biggest adventure yet: rescuing his grandparents' reputation. It will mean unearthing the secrets that a powerful man want to keep hidden, infiltrating the society of explorers in the heart of Rosewood, and braving the blizzard of the century. But don't worry, Archer has a plan. Sort of."



Catherine Doyle The Lost Tide Warriors
Gift from a friend
Blurb: "Fionn Boyle has been Storm Keeper of Arranmore for less than six months when thousands of terrifying Soulstalkers arrive on the island. The empty-eyed followers of the dreaded sorceress Morrigan have come to raise their leader, and with his grandfather's memory waning, Fionn must rely on his friends Shelby and Sam to help him summon Dagda's army of merrows."



Janice Erlbaum Lucky Little Things
Purchased from Gleebooks
Blurb: "Emma received a mysterious letter with no return address. The letter promises that ten lucky little things will happen to her over the next thirty days - she just has to make a list of what she wants. When things on Emma's list start coming true, she races to understand what's happening. How does this lucky letter work? Who sent it? And what's going to happen when the thirty days are done?"



Gillian McDunn Caterpillar Summer
Gift from a friend.  I have started to read this one and I am really keen to uncover mystery of Cat's family.
Blurb: "Cat is the glue holding her family together. ...  When Cat and Chicken are sent to spend the summer on Gingerbread Island with grandparents they've never met, she suddenly has space to be a kid again."



Lynda Mullaly Hunt Shouting at the Rain
I bought this book online
Blurb: "Delsie loves a good storm - except when the squalls are in her life. Her summer friend Brandy is back on Cape Cod at last - but devastates her by dumping her for a new friend. And she could really use a mom right now - except hers left years ago, and her loving grammy won't discuss that, saying it's too painful."



A.F. Harrold The Afterwards (Illustrated by Emily Gravett)
On loan from a friend.  I may wait a little while before reading this. The Imaginary also by AF Harrold did disturbed me and this one looks just as dark. The Song from Somewhere Else was also a challenging book. This newest book The Afterwards received a Kirkus Star review.



Renee Watson Some Places more than Others
Gift from a friend
Blurb: "All Amara wants is to visit her father's family in New York City. she can't wait to finally meet her Grandpa earl and cousins, and to stay in the brownstone where her father grew up. With her mom about to have a new baby, Amara wants to feel grounded." Colby Sharp loved loved this book!



Stephanie Burgis The Princess who flew with Dragons
Gift from a friend
Blurb: "Sofia isn't the crown princess - that's her perfect big sister, Katrin. Sofia is the other one. The disappointing one. So when disaster strikes, Sofia is certain she's not a good enough princess to fix things. But she has to try. And maybe when you're a failed princess with only a young dragon and a pack of rowdy goblins on your side, it's time to try something wildly different."


No comments: