Saturday, September 14, 2024

I Love Vincent by Laura Ljungkvist


"My name is Scout. I am a good dog! 
My best friend is Vincent. 
Vincent can't see so I am his guide
and we go everywhere together."

This book had the potential to move me to tears for two reasons. I just watched a moving little Instagram film of a very young boy exploring the uniform of a firefighter with his hands. And many years ago we had a boy in my school who had lost both his eyes as a baby.

Scout is a guide dog and Vincent is his best friend. We follow their journey in this book from their meeting in guide dog school through to Scout learning how to navigate Vincent's home and neighborhood. They visit the park and ride the subway and enjoy lunch at a cafe. At night Scout can relax without his harness and the friends enjoy listening to music together. 


My friend picked this book up for her library from a bargain bookseller but sadly it is out of print because it was published in 2021. If you can find it, this book would be a terrific addition to your school or preschool library. 

You might like to watch this television series "Pick of the Litter." Here are some other books about guide dogs from my friend at Kinderbookswitheverything.

Laura Ljungkvist is originally from Sweden. She moved to the US in 1993. You can see inside her books here

I previously talked about this book by Laura Ljungkvist:



And these might be in your local or school library:


No comments: