Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Taking Flight by Kashmira Sheth illustrated by Nicolo Carozzi


Opening sentence: "You might have come from a highland home, where clouds dance with snowy peaks, and shed tears as you hugged your grandmother, gathering her warmth in your fists."

This is the child with the red scarf on the book cover. 

We follow three difference families - from Tibet, Syria and Ukraine - as they pack their bags and leave behind all that they have known in search of safety and a place to call home. 

"Maybe you left your beloved city with sparkling, domed-roof churches. And when you grabbed your doll and fled, it was to the loud BOOMs of war, and a flock of pigeons taking flight."

The three children don't immediately reach their new home. The arrive hungry, exhausted and worn-out and even though they are safe a tent in a Refugee Camp is not a home. But what of the new land? It is so hard there too. The language is strange, and the sights and sounds and smells are all so strange. And then the three kids head to their first day at a new school?


I would use the illustration on the final page of worn-out shoes as a to introduce this book to your group of library students in grades 4 to 6. I have a Pinterest collection entitled The Refugee Experience through Picture Books.

Thinking about shoes - try to find this book:


Grandma's Treasured Shoes

Here was my dilemma - in Canada we visited several fabulous book shops (there's list in this previous blog post) but I cannot carry a heavy bag so I could only buy one or two picture books and one or two novels.

I wanted to find fairly new book, perhaps by a Canadian author or illustrator, with (in the case of a picture book) fabulous illustrations and also a book that I couldn't very easily find in Australia.  My friend and I had around ten titles on our wish list but then I spied Taking Fight. It is not by a Canadian author or illustrator but it covers an important topic in a gentle and heartfelt way with especially beautiful illustrations. I didn't hesitate to buy this book.



Writing in second person, directly addressing the displaced children, Sheth compassionately acknowledges the heartbreak they’ve endured and underscores their resilience. Carozzi’s soft and detailed digitally enhanced graphite illustrations evoke the tenderness of Sheth’s text. Shifting perspectives through wide shots and close-ups reinforce an idea of shared and personal experiences. The final spread of a child swinging against a blue sky (with the help of another, as shown on the previous page) emphasizes the hope and community support that are so crucial as young refugees build new lives. Kirkus

As a story standing on its own, this is powerful and engaging, deeply moving and hopeful. As an example of universal experiences and needs, it is priceless.  Unpacking the Power of Picture Books

This book is written, as I said, in prose, but the precision of the emotion and pace makes it feel like a poem. This is the human side of the refugee experience. It aches and evokes. It's a Picture Book World

Here in Australia this book costs around AUS$45. My copy was CAN$25. Kashmira Sheth was born in India and came to the US when she was seventeen to attend Iowa State University, where she received a BS in microbiology. She is the author of several award-winning picture books, middle grade, and young adult novels.  Here are some other books by Kashmira Sheth:




You can see more art by Nicolo Carozzi here.



No comments: