Book Week 2016
We had another huge week in our school for Book Week which we celebrated one week later than the official dates because I was attending the 35th IBBY Congress.
Here is a list of some of the ways we celebrated :
- Our teachers were sent 10 Australian and book/reading related poems to share each day
- We prepared a set of Book Week songs using lyrics written by our students and well known simple tunes
- On Monday the library hosted a games lunch for card games and board games
- On Tuesday we held one of our popular movie lunches. This movie has no connection with the Book Week slogan but I knew it would be a new one for the children and we do have the book in our library so we watched Q Pootle 5 by Nick Butterworth .
- On Wednesday, Thursday and Friday groups of young students came to the library to complete craft activities linked with the 2016 slogan Australia : Story Country
- Our youngest students participated in a 'Name the Kangaroo' task. Winning name "Blueroo".
Over 400 students participated in our thinking challenges
1. Puzzle me a puzzle - the winner here is a game with tiny books which you toss into those score cups. You can also see a find-a-word.
2. We need a new icon to replace Vegemite. Gum mite is made from gum nuts and essence of wattle.
3. Prepare some pages for an Australian A to Z (Animals or plants)
4. Draw a story map using our school and adding your imagination or design the cover and blurb for a story book about an animal that visits our school.