Friday, February 9, 2018

My reading pile

Leaving my school library last year I knew I would miss having access to new (and old) books but I seem to have found plenty from other sources and somehow my reading pile is now quite huge.  I will talk about some or all of these over the coming weeks.

The Most important Thing by Avi
From the blurb : Avi introduces seven boys seeking acceptance, guidance, or just someone to look up to. ... Each story shines a different light on the question 'What's the most important thing a father can do for his son?'
Kirkus give this book a star review. I have read the first two stories and I am hooked.
Source - my public library

Prisoner of the Black Hawke - The Mapmaker Chronicles Book Two A.L. Tait
From the blurb : In the second book in this thrilling series, mapmaker Quinn is far from home in an exotic land filled with dangerous creatures and ruthless enemies. When he is betrayed by someone close to him and comes face to face with boodthirsty pirates, he has to decide once and for all who is a friend and who is a foe.
Check out my review of the first book in this series.
Source - a friend


Moo by Sharon Creech
I am a massive fan of everything Sharon Creech has written.  When I saw this on a review site last year I knew I wanted to read it especially since it is partly written as a verse novel.
From the blurb : When twelve year old Reena, her little brother, Luke, and their parents move to Maine, Reena doesn't know what to expect. She's ready for beaches, blueberries, and all the lobster she can idea. Instead her parents 'volunteer' her to work for an eccentric neighbor named Mrs Falala, who one very ornery cow named Zora.
Kirkus give Moo a star review.
Source - Gleebooks


The Gallery by Laura Marx Fitzgerald
I picked this up because the cover looked good and the blur intrigued me.  I know realise it by the author of Under the Egg which I read last year.
From the blurb : Nothing is what it seems and no one is who they say they are. A eccentric recluse. A self-absorbed newspaper tycoon. A shady footman. A mansion with a secret. And one girl who has the moxie to see everything for what it is.
The Kirkus reviewer enjoyed this book.
Source - local bookshop



The house of Months and Years by Emma Trevayne
I picked this up because the cover looked interesting and this is a new book published in 2017.
From the blurb : It was a special house, assembled stone by stone and brick by brick. Twelve rooms, seven fireplaces, a floor for each season. Horatio, the immortal who built  it stood in the sunlight streaming through fifty-two windows and was pleased with himself. A perfect Calendar House, ideal for its purpose.

The Kirkus review says this book is satisfying.
Source - my public library



The Wild Robot by Peter Brown
I have seen this book mentioned several times in book lists and in the School Library Journal review Elizabeth Bird gave it a very positive review.  I do like the art of Peter Brown and we have several of his picture books in our school library including The Curious Garden, Children make terrible pets and My Teacher is a monster.
From the blurb : When robot Roz opens her eyes for the first time, she discovers that she is alone on a remote, wild island. She has no idea how she got there or what her purpose is - but she knows she needs to survive. But as Roz slowly befriends the animals, the island starts to feel like home - until one day, her mysterious past comes back to haunt her.
Kirkus gave The Wild Robot a star review.
Source - Gleebooks


No comments: