Sunday, February 25, 2018

Notables part two - Younger Readers

On Tuesday night next week the Notable titles selected by the Children's Book Council of Australia will be announced. Earlier I talked about my Picture Book predictions. Here are some middle grade titles which the judges may have considered for this year.

I have never felt entirely comfortable with the name Younger Readers for this category of our CBCA Book Awards especially in more recent times when it is rare to find more than one or two junior novels for children aged 8 on the list.  Most of the books selected in past years have been for Middle Primary and Upper Primary readers.

Take a look at each of our Short Lists from the past few years
2017
2016
2015
2014
2013

Looking back at my year of reading here are some titles (click them) which I think/hope might make 'the cut' for the 2018 Notable list.  The first three on this list are my personal top three.



How to Bee by Bren MacDibble
The shop at Hoopers Bend by Emily Rodda
The elephant by Peter Carnavas
The extremely inconvenient adventures of Bronte Mettlestone by Jaclyn Moriarty
Nevermoor : The trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend
The Beast of Hushing Wood by Gabrielle Wang
The Blue Cat by Ursula Dubosarsky
Polly and Buster : The Wayward witch and the feelings monster by Sally Rippin
The Rogues : Accidental Heroes by Lian Tanner
A different dog by Paul Jennings
Too many friends by Kathryn Apel




Books I should have read which might make the list include:
The Turnkey by Allison Rushby
Our race for Reconciliation by Anita Heiss
Jehan and the quest of the lost dog by Rosanne Hawke

Books I have read but haven't talked about on this blog (yet):
The boy and the spy by Felice Arena
Figgy takes the City by Tamsin Janu - I will be talking about this one soon I finished it last night and loved it.
The girl, the dog and the writer in Rome by Katrina Nannestad


No comments: