Monday, September 24, 2018

Mike by Andrew Norriss

"We're talking about someone that only you can see, only you know exists, and whose name is Mike. ... What's your name? Your full name?'  'Floyd Michael Beresford,' said Floyd, and it took a second for the penny to drop ... "



My local book shop kindly gave me an advanced reader copy of Mike. I read the blurb and put this book to one side. I did not think I would enjoy this book. I am utterly surprised that I did. In fact, as one reviewer suggested, I read it quite quickly over two sessions. I do need to say right at the start, though, that I think this book would be best placed in a High School library for readers 12+.

Recently I was talking with a friend about sport stories. Out of all the books I have read not too many have been about sport and given my small sample size I cannot recall even one title that has really appealed to me yet here we have a book about tennis. And yes I enjoyed it. Of course it is not just about tennis but readers who enjoy competitive sport will certainly relate to Floyd.

What is this book about?

Floyd is a tennis player. His parents met at a tennis event, they own a tennis court business, they have been coaching Floyd to play tennis since he was two years old - this is a family that live and breathe tennis. Except for Floyd. When he was young and the game was fun every thing was fine. Floyd won a match when he was just five years old and his parents gave him a fish. At this point a few alarm bells rang with me. Is this bribery? Does Floyd really have a passion for tennis or does he prefer fish?  Take a fresh look at the cover design above. I think it is perfect.

"Floyd had loved it. And he was good at it as well. Astonishingly good. And his parents watched his progress with delight and considerable pride."

"It was only a little club tournament but Floyd played three matches that day and won them all. As a reward his parents took him to a pet store and told him he could choose anything he wanted. To their surprise Floyd asked if he could have a fish ..."

By the time Floyd is fifteen there are five huge fish tanks in his room all filled with a huge variety of fish.

Then one day Mike shows up and Floyd is forced to face his fears and real ideas about tennis. Accepting his true feelings about playing tennis at the highest level though, is only the beginning. Mike has other things to show Floyd - life changing things - perhaps he is the guide we'd all like who leads us to our perfect destiny.  The ending of Mike is sure to make your romantic heart smile.

Mike will surprise you. The premise is clever. The themes of identity and staying true to yourself are explored in a thoughtful way. Three cheers for Floyd who is now following his dreams.

Read some reviews:
Mr Ripley's Enchanted Books - " this absolutely bowled me over and really developed my understanding of the complex nature of growing up with a talent."

Book Bag - "There's a wonderful sense of amusement in the tone, and I think this is what keeps the energy quite light the whole way through."

Booktrust Floyd is courageous and full of hope, while Mike’s role is somehow simultaneously subtle and ground-shattering, steering Floyd in completely new and surprising directions, an enigma everyone wants solve. This is a beautifully told and enormously uplifting coming-of-age story.

Here are two text quotes to give you a flavour of this writing which will appeal to sports fans.

"By the time he was thirteen, Floyd's schedule had developed into the full blown routine of a professional athlete. Each weekday he would be up at six and out on the court by quarter past. ... Floyd practiced his serves, played a few rounds of flash tennis and then spent the remaining time returning the lobs, back-spins and volleys that his father fired at him from the ball-gun."

"(Barrington) tried to break-up the smooth flow of Floyd's game by lobs that drove him back from the net. He tried to wear his opponent down with shots from the base line that would make him run from side to side and tire him out. ... and even resorted to psychological tricks that players sometimes used to break their opponent's concentration like asking for balls to be changed ... or stopping to retie his shoelaces."

Finally here is the US cover - I do prefer the one from UK above - which do you like?


No comments: