Tuesday, September 4, 2018

The Adventures of Catvinkle by Elliot Perlman

"Think of how many more friends you could have if you allowed dogs into your world. Anyway are we really so different from cats? If you put fresh water in a bowl in front of us, do we not drink? If you put a comfy wicker basket beside a warm fireplace, will we not crawl in and get snuggly?"




In real life dogs and cats are not usually friends. They may tolerate each other or live in a state of constant hostility.  In stories cats and dogs are often portrayed with quite different viewpoints and life experiences. It interesting to compare the way various authors have examined this relationship.

Recently I talked about Dog by Andy Mulligan where the cat, called Moonlight, is simply awful. She is manipulative and a liar.  Compare this with Diva and Flea where Diva, the little shy dog, needs the bravery and kindness of Flea to expand her horizons and Flea herself is a brilliant and insightful friend. You might also re-read the classic story The Incredible Journey where two dogs and a Siamese cat journey across America to find their family.

Catvinkle and Ula have an equally complex, but in this case, friendly relationship. Catvinkle lives with Mr Sabatini. She has a very comfortable life. One morning Mr Sabatini sees a lost dog. "The dog shyly came up to him. ... As he was patting her he read her name Ula ... He noticed, too, that Ula's big brown eyes were a little sad, and that the fur on her coat was not sitting entirely smoothly. ... Being a barber he would notice a thing like this."

Ula is taken home where he is left in a room with Catvinkle. This meeting could turn out quite badly and Catvinkle's life could be turned upside down but Catvinkle discovers something wonderful about Ula.

"What's that smell?' Catvinkle asked.
'Oh no, you're probably going to say I smell wet and that you hate the smell of wet dog,' said Ula. 'Go ahead, you might as well. Everybody says it.'
No, not at all! It's all ... musky. It's like a beautiful musky ... I feel so calm and relaxed breathing in this musky smell."

Calm is what Catvinkle needs because she is due to compete in the National Kitten Baby-Shoe Dancing competition where she will compete against her enemy Twinkiepaws. The idea of this competition should give you a real motivation to read this warm but offbeat tale.

I loved the dialogue between Ula and Catvinkle. I hope these examples make you smile too:

"How many animals have wanted to come and live with you and Mr Sabatini?' asked Ula. 'Lots,' said Catvinkle. 'More than I can count on one paw.' 'How many can you count on one paw?' asked Ula. 'As many as I like. It's my paw. I can use it again and again for counting. I've three others you know."

 "Do you like trying new things?' asked Ula. 'Oh yes. Sometimes I take my water before my salmon and sometimes I'll take my water after my salmon. A couple of times - and this will blow your mind - I've started my salmon then had a few licks of water and then gone back to my salmon, licking the bowl clean with both sides of my tongue. Crazy, I know! But I'm that kind of cat. I live on the edge!"

I am looking forward to seeing the actual book when it is published in October this year because I understand it will be issued as a small hardback which seems appropriate for the European setting. Huge thanks to Beachside Bookshop for the advanced reader copy.

Here is a set of teachers notes with detailed questions and writing ideas.

No comments: