Monday, September 3, 2018

Shelter by Céline Claire illustrated by Qin Leng

Who are the strangers?
What are they doing here?
What do they want?



Shelter is so much more than the simple story of weary travellers seeking food, or of strangers needing shelter from the storm.  The forest animals know a storm is coming. They gather supplies and settle down in their snug homes. Then Little Fox asks a prophetic question "What if others are still outside?" There are others outside. Two figures emerge through the fog. They offer to exchange some tea for a moment by a warm fire. They offer to exchange the tea for a few cookies for dipping. They offer their tea again for some light on this dark night. Every plea is rejected so the pair of bears (large and small) set off to make their own shelter - an ice cave. They warm themselves by dancing in the snow.

Just before they move away there is, however, one tiny moment of kindness.  Little Fox runs after the strangers and he gives them a small lantern. He explains:  "You can't eat it, and it's not as warm or nearly as bright as a fire ...' 'But it's still generous,' Big Brother says kindly. 'Thank you."



Meanwhile the storm has intensified and the foxes find their den is collapsing. Now they need shelter, warmth and food. This is the point in the story where you will hold your breath.  The roles are reversed. How will the strangers react?  Will they offer shelter and their warm tea or will they be as hostile as the forest animals have been just a few hours ago?

I first saw this book in a wonderful bookshop in Vancouver. The story has lingered with me so when I spied it in a school library this week I knew I had to borrow it, read it again, think about it and share it here. As this is a Canadian book it might not have caught your attention but I hope it has now and that you might consider this book as an important addition to your library.

This book provides a wonderful opportunity for discussions about being welcoming and helping others in need, including how children can put this into practice by reaching out to the “new kid” or the one who seems different. Kids Can Press

Claire’s prose is rhythmic and gentle, with enjoyable repetition and memorable lines that lend themselves to being read aloud. Leng’s earth-toned watercolors and light strokes of pen and ink have a wonderful messiness about them ... Kirkus star review

Shelter is a story about community, acceptance, and generosity. ... Reading a story like Shelter to children is an excellent way to open up conversations about accepting others, helping people in need, and selfless giving. Littlest Bookshelf

This book brings to mind a quote from the bible:

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in ..."

There are messages in this book about kindness and empathy but you could also use it to talk about our treatment of refugees. I would share this book with young children but also with senior Primary classes as a way to open up a discussion about the important issues we are facing in our world today. I highly recommend this book.

Shelter was originally published in French with the title L'abri. Céline Claire is the author of many books but Shelter is her first book translated into English. Qin Leng was born in Changhai, China and now lives in Toronto.

The illustrator of Shelter, Qin Leng has another title from Kids Can Press which I am keen to read.




And here is her newest book:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Margot, My name is Nadine and I work at Woozles in Halifax. I met you a number of years ago when you were in Halifax. I just read "I Am Small" today and it is delightful. It is a book about a third child in a family who feels that they are too small to do various things. Meanwhile others tell her how lucky she is that she can hide in small hide and seek spaces, that she gets the best piece of cake when first in line at the cafeteria, and so on. One day, she meets her new younger brother and reassures him that he will grow up one day, and that being small isn't so bad. It is quite charming.
Qin Leng has also illustrated a book by a Halifax writer, Jessica Scott Kerrin, entitled "A Better Tree Fort". It is a lovely father/son story, with wonderful illustrations by Leng. Thank you for following us on Facebook!

Momo said...

Hi Nadine, I have such fond memories of my time in your store and attending the story time in the park. I visited your store twice (from Australia) once in 1994 and again in 2012. I enjoy following your Facebook pages. Your little shop is one of the best children's book shops I have seen around the world. I dream of doing a world children's book shop tour. Woozles would be on my list. I will look for the books you have mentioned.