Monday, March 30, 2020

CBCA Short List announced tomorrow!



I am sure to be wrong but once again I am going to try to predict the CBCA short list for 2020. There are five categories - Picture Book, Early Childhood Picture Book, Younger Readers, Older Readers and the Eve Pownall Award for Non Fiction. I will focus on Picture Book, Early Childhood and Younger Readers.

In several previous posts I attempted to predict the Notable titles. In each category twenty titles were listed last month. Tomorrow (31st March, 2020) the CBCA will announce the six titles in each category for the short list and then in August the winners will be announced.

The category that I had the most difficulty with for 2020 was Younger Readers. There are three other titles I could add here but I am only allowed to predict six.  I wish I could also add A Great Escape; Catch a Falling Star; and As Happy as Here by Jane Godwin.

Here are my short list predictions or this might better be called my hope list:

Younger Readers

Detention by Tristan Bancks
The Little Wave by Pip Harry
A Different Land by Paul Jennings
The Dog runner by Bren MacDibble
Sick Bay by Nova Weetman
The Secrets of Magnolia Moon by Edwina Wyatt



Picture Book of the Year

Ella and the Ocean by Lian Tanner illustrated by Jonathan Bentley
Hello Lighthouse by Sophie Blackall
Three by Stephen Michael King
Baby Business by Jasmine Seymour
Mallee Sky by Jodi Toering illustrated by Tanya Harricks
One Tree by Christopher Cheng illustrated by Bruce Whatley



Early Childhood Picture Book

Little Puggle's Song by Vikki Conley illustrated by Helene Magisson
We're Stuck by Sue deGennaro
Ivanhoe Swift left home at Six by Jane Godwin illustrated by A Yi
I see, I see by Robert Henderson
Little Bird's Day by Sally Morgan illustrated by Johnny Warrkatja
Goodbye House, Hello House by Margaret Wild illustrated by Ann James


No comments: