Thursday, March 26, 2020

I like bees, I don't like honey by Sam Bishop illustrated by Fiona Lumbers




I do hope the title of this book caught your attention. This is a new discovery for me and I am so excited to share it here because this book is wonderful. How did I miss this book back in 2017? The premise is simple - can you answer these two questions?

What do you like?  What don't you like?

Here is the publisher blurb:


There's nothing like a small child to give you an honest answer, and so we asked a group what their likes and dislikes were. Their answers were enlightening, funny, and also profound - so we've gathered them together in a beautifully illustrated package to encourage other young children to express their feelings too. This charming, delightful and thoroughly entertaining book is perfect for anyone trying to gently broach a conversation about individuality, fears and hopes with their child. Allen and Unwin

There are so many beautiful ideas in this book - from the funny to the poignant. Here are a few that touched my heart.

I like rainbows. I don't like being tapped on the shoulder.
I like skateboarding. I don't like being asked lots of questions
I like running. I don't like secrets.
I like chasing balloons. I don't like people going away.
I like woolly mammoths. I don't like being rushed.
I like pulling silly faces! I don't like war.
I like steam trains! I don't like people dying.

This book just begs to be used as an inspiration for children and their writing. Here is the plan used by one Kindergarten teacher.

Fiona Lumbers is the illustrator of another book that I loved and recently talked about The Secret Sky Garden.



No comments: